Brewferm Christmas...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
...Got this underway last night in readiness for, yep you've guessed it Christmas '17! How's that for forward planning. Been meaning to try this and I understand it benefits from a long maturing period, should be in the bottles for over 7 months before cracking open the first one.

Watch this space!

Brewferm%20Christmas%20Beer%20Kit-500x500.jpg

Ive made it twice and like you at this time of year in readiness for crimbo. It makes a great pint, if you can leave and forget.

...Got this underway last night in readiness for, yep you've guessed it Christmas '17! How's that for forward planning. Been meaning to try this and I understand it benefits from a long maturing period, should be in the bottles for over 7 months before cracking open the first one.

Watch this space!

Brewferm%20Christmas%20Beer%20Kit-500x500.jpg

Graz i bought 2 tins yesterday, waiting for the oud bruin coming off ferment and these 2 will go straight on that yeast with the kit yeast added. already got the abbey bottled should be a very merry xmas :thumb:

couldnt have picked a better kit for xmas, i found that after a year in the bottle this was stunning along side the grand cru and abbey ale,i always though this should be kept on a rolling stock sort of deal, brew a kit every 4 months? then your stock will always be full, i went to the local club near me with a black recycling bin, asked the landlord/barman/manager if i could have his j2o bottles and i used those for this(all glass bottles are thrown in the bin nowadays), this gives the feel of having done a big brew because of the size of the bottles, going to stop in my lhbs on the way home tomorrow and pick up this kit and get it in the fv.:thumb::thumb:

couldnt have picked a better kit for xmas, i found that after a year in the bottle this was stunning along side the grand cru and abbey ale,i always though this should be kept on a rolling stock sort of deal, brew a kit every 4 months? then your stock will always be full, i went to the local club near me with a black recycling bin, asked the landlord/barman/manager if i could have his j2o bottles and i used those for this(all glass bottles are thrown in the bin nowadays), this gives the feel of having done a big brew because of the size of the bottles, going to stop in my lhbs on the way home tomorrow and pick up this kit and get it in the fv.:thumb::thumb:

I think i might do another abbey , nothing worse that waiting a year , finding the beer is superb and only having a dozen bottles, was the christmas better than the abbey

I like the rolling stock idea, only thing stopping me from doing that is the lack of bottles. I kept the bottles from a couple of cases of San Miguel I drank last summer specifically for this as they're 33cl and brown glass. Still summer is just around the corner and I don't make lager as I don't often drink it but it is good when the weather is hot so some more San Miguel could be in order :)

Graz i bought 2 tins yesterday, waiting for the oud bruin coming off ferment and these 2 will go straight on that yeast with the kit yeast added. already got the abbey bottled should be a very merry xmas :thumb:

The Oud Bruin is hands down the best of the Brewferm kits in my opinion. Doesn't need nearly as long to condition either.

stopped by the lhbs on the way as stated earlier, no brewferm abbey or christmas ale in stock!:( (so bought a diablo to do now and ordered the abbey ale for pick up next week) reading the OP cost me 2 brewferm kits lol

The Oud Bruin is hands down the best of the Brewferm kits in my opinion. Doesn't need nearly as long to condition either.

+1 my fave too. Use Golden Syrup rather than sugar though, as well as improving the taste I'm sure it speeds up the conditioing period.

I currently have 1 bottle of Abbey left from an Oct 2015 brew :whistle:

stopped by the lhbs on the way as stated earlier, no brewferm abbey or christmas ale in stock!:( (so bought a diablo to do now and ordered the abbey ale for pick up next week) reading the OP cost me 2 brewferm kits lol

You're welcome :thumb:

+1 my fave too. Use Golden Syrup rather than sugar though, as well as improving the taste I'm sure it speeds up the conditioing period.

I currently have 1 bottle of Abbey left from an Oct 2015 brew :whistle:

Yes, I did all the Brewferm kits with golden syrup too. I still have one Bruin left from a batch I brewed around a year ago, but I've gone on to AG now so I probably won't do it again. It's probably the only kit I made (maybe also the Cooper's Sparkling) that compares with AG in my opinion.

So I'm up to day 10 of fermentation on this kit and the instructions say to transfer the beer into a secondary fermenter at this stage for another week or two to improve clarity.

Was all set to do that last night, got it out of the brew fridge, the krausen had subsided and there was no visible signs of fermentation so assumed it had more or less finished. I don't use airlocks so don't have that to go on.

Thought I'd take a gravity reading expecting it to be pretty close to the advised 1.010 FG but it's sat at 1.022. Seems a bit high. I've stuck it back in the brew fridge for now. Should I transfer it anyway, wasn't sure if if would carry on fermenting significantly in the secondary with less yeast present? I know I should be patient and all that but will it get down to 1.010 eventually even though it's not really showing signs of activity?

This is the first Brewferm kit I've done so not really sure what to expect. I know that patience is the friend of the homebrewer and all that!

I guess I could go with the usual advice of giving it a little stir and maybe upping the temperature slightly? It has been set at 20°C thus far.

Thanks.

I did this 3 or 4 years ago and have just bought another one to put on for Christmas this year.

I notice that the destructions have changed - with the kit I did before, fermentation finished at 1.020 and you bottled it at that point with no priming sugar (and, yes, it did carb up fine). Now, the instructions say that fermentation will go down to 1.010 and that you need to add priming sugar when bottling/kegging. I'm not sure if the yeast is the same as the old kit (to be honest, I can't remember and didn't write anything in my notes other than 'kit yeast').

They have also added that bit about transferring to secondary fermenter.

So, I'm undecided whether to follow the new instructions or do what I did before. I may follow the instructions as I'm going to substitute the yeast for the Crossmyloof Belgian one.

I remember this was a cracking drink after 12 months and was superb when I finished it 18 months from bottling.

Ah, interesting thanks.

So maybe if I give it another day or two in the primary to see if anything happens, then I'll stick it in a secondary for a couple of weeks.

If at the end of that i't come down to 1.010 or thereabouts I'll bottle with priming sugar, if not I'll bottle without priming sugar and pray that I don't get a load of exploding bottles in a few months time!

Still sitting at 1.022 last night so I moved it into the secondary. It can sit there for a few weeks, see what happens.

Still sitting at 1.022 last night so I moved it into the secondary. It can sit there for a few weeks, see what happens.

I did a Brewferm Xmas for the Christmas 2016, Started it back in Feb 2016 and bottled at 1018. Very bad idea. The bulk of it went into swing top bottles and had to re-bottle in August at 1010, as it was just an endless stream of foam coming out of the bottles.

So, I say wait until it gets to 1010. It's just easier in the end.

I did a Brewferm Xmas for the Christmas 2016, Started it back in Feb 2016 and bottled at 1018. Very bad idea. The bulk of it went into swing top bottles and had to re-bottle in August at 1010, as it was just an endless stream of foam coming out of the bottles.

just bottled a double lot for next christmas got 28 500ml bottles let see what happens got a three quarter full pet bottle for a tester has i do with all my beers so will check it mid summer.:thumb:

can you remember if you put priming sugar in the swingtop bottles?it is suppose to ferment out at 1020 and then bottled with no priming sugar whats so ever, i bottled mine, tried it 6 months after,not great, left for a few more months started to come alive, after a year in the bottle was superb

Latest posts

Back