Kenridge Kit Help - Filtering?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevd

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been a while since posting on here sorry. Been away from home brewing but back at it again :)

I recently did a Young's Cellar 7 Sauvignon Blanc kit, and I was surprised at how well it turned out. Its very drinkable and it seems to be getting even better the longer its left, although it wont be left for too long!

Given my success with that kit, I decided to go up a level and ordered a Kenridge Classic Vieux Chateau Du Roi. I ordered a carboy as well to do the kit as I did the cellar 7 just in my beer fermentation buckets.

This Kenridge kit comes with a lot of additions such as the oak saw dust and thus needs filtering. The instructions say to filter the wine, but has no mention of how and with what. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to do?

Also, it mentions racking the wine a couple of times, as I only have one carboy, is there a reason why I shouldn't just rack into one of my fermentation vessels?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The californian connoisseur 30 bottle kits say to filter too. Got myself a harris vinbrite filter. Uses paper discs to filter the wine. The oak settles out and with finnings little remains. Filtering adds polish to the finish of the wine .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you wanted to do it on the cheap you could use a sterilised coffee filter clipped on (plastic clothes peg sterilised) round the end of your siphoning tube (not the siphon itself) and rack thru it when you put the wine into your bottling bucket. If you have an inline valve on the siphon tube it makes it easier to replace filters when they clog (and they will clog) just clip the filter onto a short piece of tubing that is then pushed onto the valve and have 1 or 2 more prepped and ready to go. A packet of coffee filters costs about £2.

I use Kenridge classic kits with oak and sometimes berries etc depending on what comes with the kit. On the first few kits i followed the instructions to the letter - racking multiple times and filtering which seemed a little excessive to me. These days i just let them ferment out, check with a hydrometer, rack stabilise and then either use finings or just bulk store and leave it to clear.

I do not filter them in fact i rarely filter anything. I also use the Cellar 7 kits and treat them the same way. Never had an issue they always end up quite clear.

Latest posts

Back