What Equipment will I need

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raradir

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm sorry for this question, as you lot probably get it alot from new brewers, so I thought I'd apologise in advance.

So onto the question, what Equipment do I need? I should probably elaborate more on this. So along with myself are two other people who are going to be brewing along with me, so we are wanting equipment to brew large batches. I should probably mention we are all new to brewing, so we are wanting to get the equiment and experiment and learn, as trial and error is the best way to learn, well as well as reading and asking questions on here. We are wanting to create our own creations (so not kits you can buy from Wilkos etc) and wanting to brew everything from IPA's to Stouts and Porters. So what equipment should we look to be buying to do all of this.

Again sorry for the very basic question.

Thanks
Raradir

First item 'Home brew beer' by Graham Wheeler. All you need to know to get started and loads of recipes to try. You'll probably want to do standard batches of 5 gallons at first until you've had some practice, you could always double up or brew more regularly to get some volume going. This is a good book to digest http://howtobrew.com as well, it's free to read online.

First item 'Home brew beer' by Graham Wheeler. All you need to know to get started and loads of recipes to try. You'll probably want to do standard batches of 5 gallons at first until you've had some practice, you could always double up or brew more regularly to get some volume going. This is a good book to digest http://howtobrew.com as well, it's free to read online.

Thanks, I just bought "Home Brew Beer" by Greg Hughes

Before you commit ££££ to lots of major kit why not have a go at low volumes (standard 23 litre FV) before you step up, to get a basic understanding of the brewing process and establish good technique.
In any case when you have done that, your basic kit will not be wasted, since you could use it for trial brews.

Before you commit �£�£�£�£ to lots of major kit why not have a go at low volumes (standard 23 litre FV) before you step up, to get a basic understanding of the brewing process and establish good technique.
In any case when you have done that, your basic kit will not be wasted, since you could use it for trial brews.

This is a very good idea to start with, the reason we want large batches is the possibility or commercial use in the future.

This is a very good idea to start with, the reason we want large batches is the possibility or commercial use in the future.
Given that, there are members on here who have experience of operating micro scale breweries (e.g simon12) who may be able to offer to you practical advice. You may also find our search facility is of help.

the #1 reason 5 gallon batches are popular is that most folk can lump 5 gallons in a fermenting bucket off the floor to waist height for a gravity drain. so moving the beer becomes an issue with larger batches and can involve more equipment pumps/hose/connections and more cleaning and sanitation duties and increased risk of infection (needs mentioning even if slight)

3 x 5 gallon batches would be easier to handle perhaps..

Currently looking at boiling pots, which works best, Electric or gas? Looking at the stainless steel ones with taps and gages, or again is the stock/boiling pot without gage and tap better?

Before you commit �£�£�£�£ to lots of major kit why not have a go at low volumes (standard 23 litre FV) before you step up, to get a basic understanding of the brewing process and establish good technique.
Good advice Terry.
Personally I'm planning to buy a formuala 1 car, not that I've passed my driving test yet:whistle:

Good advice Terry.
Personally I'm planning to buy a formuala 1 car, not that I've passed my driving test yet:whistle:

I'm guessing this is a dig at me being a new brewer, I'm taking Terry's advice and starting off small. I did want to try and make mostly everything Stainless Steel, since we would be brewing from a fully licensed property thats fully Hygiene inspected,nso there was an option for a bit of a commercial side in the future. But to start with I will probably go for the plastic FV, simply because it means I can buy 2 or 3 so we can have a number of brews going at once. I just wanted some help with buying the boiling pots, as there seems to be 3 types when I look, a simple plain stock/boiling pot, a Gas boiling pot with a tap and gauge fitted and an Electric Boiling pot with tap and gauge. I'm guessing an Electric one is induction, a bit like a kettle? I just wanted some.advice from you experts on this.

Thanks
Raradir

I started with kits then went on to biab for a few brews now I'm on to a ace micro brewery system
so just try a few kits see how you and things go then maybe go with something bigger and better
if that what you find you want to do
you will always find the help you need on this forum some grate members on here to help you

............ we would be brewing from a fully licensed property thats fully Hygiene inspected,nso there was an option for a bit of a commercial side in the future. .............

It all comes back to "budget" plus "ambition".

I suggest that "Small and cheap." is the way to start.

If you find out that you hate the work involved then you have wasted only a small amount of money.

If you decide to go ahead then not all you have spent will be wasted. (e.g. a hydrometer is a hydrometer whether you are brewing large or small.)

We need to know a lot more before we can advise.

I have highlighted the above because the premises from which you are going to work are critical to the success of your venture.

Are you aware that brewing uses huge amounts of water and produces even more water vapour? What are the arrangements in your premises to supply water and get rid of the water vapour?

How about bottle or keg storage 1. prior to use, 2. after filling, 3. for carbonation and 4. for conditioning? Are you aware that you need the same amount of space for EACH of the four stages?

Believe me, it ain't easy and the first point is to sit down with your mates and decide exactly what you wish to do.

When we know that, we can start advising you. :thumb:

PS

Try reading this Post. It may help. :thumb:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69360

Last edited:
I started with kits then went on to biab for a few brews now I'm on to a ace micro brewery system
so just try a few kits see how you and things go then maybe go with something bigger and better
if that what you find you want to do
you will always find the help you need on this forum some grate members on here to help you

Thanks, yea we have done quite a few of the kits in the past, some great some very "blah" but I think that was more down to them being very cheap kits than doing something wrong. We are looking to do All Grain Brewing so we have more control over the recipes, and to create our own, as we already have a book full of potential recipes.

Latest posts

Back