Pets sleeping on your bed growing trend...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you allow your pets to sleep on your bed?

• I let my Dog/Cat sleep on the bed.

• I do not let my Dog/Cat sleep on the bed.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We have had dogs and cats all our lives and non of them have ever slept in the bedroom but it would seem (according to the BBC) 50% of us do let our pets sleep with them.

I know we have several pet owners on the forum so out of interest do you?

According to a new survey, nearly half of British dog and cat owners let their animals sleep on their bed. Here's what some pet lovers have to say...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-39428839

My wife moaned one morning, in bed...
"Can you call an ambulance, Im having a heart attack"...
I sprung into action, to exclaim....
'You do realise the bloody cat is sitting on your chest!"

I have a whippet X lurcher who sleeps in his basket in our room, but sometime in the morning he climbs into bed and burrows under the covers, usually waking the wife and me up. Sometimes we throw him off, other times tiredness gets the best of us and he stays. He has long legs with sharp claws, and when he stretches out it feels like someone is scratching me with forks. I usually push him to the end of the bed where his legs can't cause any damage.

It's good practice to not let dogs on the bed, at least they should "work" for it first. Sleepign higher up is a pack dominance thing so making them sleep on the floor is a way of asserting your dominance over the pack.

We haven't got cats or dogs ourselves but I was brought up around dogs.

I wouldn't be happy letting them sleep on our bed for many reasons, the hair, hygiene, smell, and most significantly of all it diminishes your role as pack leader so can give rise to all sorts of behaviour issues. Also the bedroom is for me and the missus, nobody else, it's annoying enough when one of the kids turns up in the middle of the night.

At my parents they did used to let our dog sleep in our room / upstairs but always on its own bed at the end of our beds. Did sometimes used to sneak onto the end of the bed during the night though. Even my now dog obsessed mother doesn't let hers in with her which is surprising, it does get on the sofa though.

It's good practice to not let dogs on the bed, at least they should "work" for it first. Sleepign higher up is a pack dominance thing so making them sleep on the floor is a way of asserting your dominance over the pack.

I think that was mentioned this morning but not in the video i linked to.

My dogs are not allowed past the foot of the stairs.
Not allowed on the sofa too.
I look at dogs running around the park, rolling around on the ground then think about half of them on peoples beds?
Might as well get an old blanket, kick that around the park for half hour then stick it on your bed and sleep with it.

We had springier spaniels and they loved nothing better than to get in amongst the bushes chasing rabbits where we walked them, there was no way they were going near the bedroom.

I grew up with dogs but they had a kennel which were outside.We only had a golden retriever which when inside would lay at the bottom of the stairs and it was so dosile around people but when other dogs threatened to venture near the younger children when outside it's temperament soon changed.
Just as i was coming from the school run yesterday I nearly PMSL when i saw a man in his early 40's in the passenger seat of a stationary car at a set of traffic lights sitting with a fully dressed king Charles in his lap.
Makes you wonder about the change of lifestyle.

Sent from my ALE-L21

We've got 4 cats and I get uneasy and sleepless if at least one of them is NOT on the bed/on my pillow! They live like royalty really but hey that's what pets are for.

I grew up with dogs but they had a kennel which were outside.We only had a golden retriever which when inside would lay at the bottom of the stairs and it was so dosile around people but when other dogs threatened to venture near the younger children when outside it's temperament soon changed.
Just as i was coming from the school run yesterday I nearly PMSL when i saw a man in his early 40's in the passenger seat of a stationary car at a set of traffic lights sitting with a fully dressed king Charles in his lap.

Sent from my ALE-L21
I didn't realise the Queen had abdicated!!!!!:lol:

Sent from my ALE-L21

Real men died in two world wars so that cuckolds like that could have dressed up king Charles spaniels on their laps :|
:lol:

Dogs used to be pets but in recent years have become extended members of the family.

I love how owners say "He/she is not allowed in the front room or upstairs".
"...allowed in the front room but not upstairs".
"...allowed upstairs but not in the bedroom".
"...allowed in the bedroom but never in our bed".

...you know the rest.

I love dogs but won't have one myself - I like going away too much and don't want to have to think about a dog everytime I do it. However, if I did have one, there would be rules and one of those would be that the dog is never allowed on the bed let alone in it! They're out rolling around in fox s*** one minute and then rolling around in your bed the next! Some people are ruled by their dogs and I can never understand it - the roles are completely the wrong away around!

Don't get me started on people putting clothes on their dogs, so very wrong.

We've got 4 cats and I get uneasy and sleepless if at least one of them is NOT on the bed/on my pillow! They live like royalty really but hey that's what pets are for.

you will when one gets worms from eating dead mice rats and rubs its itchy **** on your pillows :lol:

We've got 5 cats... and none of them are allowed in the house at all, let alone in bed. Filthy habit.

We have two cats both get kicked out last thing at night, one lives in the garage the other hates it (the other cat) so i guess spends the night hunting.

Latest posts

Back