New FV reccomendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new FV or two, nothing flashy still in the plastic arena, but I wouldn't mind something that seals really nicely, my current old FVs have been fine for brewing but just once I'd like to see a bubble through my airlock :lol:

So what reccomendations do you have, don't mind bucket style, carboy style, tap or no tap, but in the 23L size so it'll fit in my current fermenting box or a fridge if I can ever find the space for one (I'll take reccomendations for a counter top fridge as well if anyone knows of a type that's big enough for brewing but small enough to sit on top of a counterside).

My current buckets are the basic Homebrew Online FVs

I have a Homebrew Online FV and it's the only plastic bucket I have which actually gives a nice tight seal so maybe there's a bit of pot luck on that?

I quite like my 30 litre Brewferm bucket. It's actually a little bit shorter and fatter than the Homebrew one but the extra headspace is great and I find it easier to carry when full. It has moulded plastic handles.

I don't get much airlock activity with it though.

If seeing airlock activity is important get one with a lid like the one below (stiff plastic around the edge) as of the two i have this one is the only airtight one, if not i guess anything will do.

bucket-lid-33-litre-drilled.jpg

Airlock activity isn't totally important but it would be nice to know that something is going on without lifting the lid to check, and we all like a good bubble :-)

Where did that lid come from Chippy?

i have various FV's and none have produced a single bubble in the airlocks. The only time it works is with a Tesco 5 litre water container!.
To be honest does it really matter a toss?:lol:

i have various FV's and none have produced a single bubble in the airlocks. The only time it works is with a Tesco 5 litre water container!.
To be honest does it really matter a toss?:lol:

It doesn't matter in day to day use, but always nice to know the FV has a good seal in both directions :thumb:

To be honest does it really matter a toss

Some people like to see a bubbling airlock as an indication things are going to plan if you are going to the trouble of buying an FV with a drilled lid as you intend to use an airlock why not buy one that will seal 100% (as my youngs one does)

Some people like to see a bubbling airlock as an indication things are going to plan if you are going to the trouble of buying an FV with a drilled lid as you intend to use an airlock why not buy one that will seal 100% (as my youngs one does)
Mmmmmmm my Youngs one doesn't:nono:,nor does any of the others, have two from Bigger Jugs with very tight lids but-
Nooooooooo:lol:
Can see through them anyway so no problemo

Mmmmmmm my Youngs one doesn't:nono:,nor does any of the others, have two from Bigger Jugs with very tight lids but-
Nooooooooo:lol:
Can see through them anyway so no problemo

Maybe 100% is a little high but when i put my Milton steriliser in and block the hole in the lid and turn it upside down hardly a drop comes out that is near enough 100% for me.

My wine bubbles all the way down to .990 which is finished and if there is any air leak it is so small as not worth worrying about, at the end of the day if airlock activity is important buy one with a lid like the one in my OP if not buy a cheap un-drilled one and don't use an airlock.

I'm amazed my Google Search for Bigger Jugs has worked on the company network :lol:

I have a home brew online FV and never had a problem with sealing. You can always put a bit of vaseline around the rim before putting the lid on to help seal it as long as it doesnt touch the beer (but you wouldnt be sloshing it around that much anyway) or someone I used to work with said he used normal cooking oil. When I put my lid on I push it down and then go around the lid pressing it into the sode of the FV to complete the seal.

I've used a homebrew online FV for just over two years and it has a great seal, I also find it very easy to clean. The carrying handle very handy as the FV is somewhat tucked away. About a year ago I retired the airlock and I just celotape a folded piece of tissue over the grommet, saying that though I fitted a blow off tube last night and it's been bubbling away all morning. I do remember there being a thread wher Coopers FV's were for sale in Scotland for about £20.

I've ordered a basic Youngs bucket to replace my tired FV, will see how well it seals when it arrives.

look at Brewbitz drilled 25ltr fermenters £6.95 every thing else is very cheap too

I prefer the two handled ones that I have now. A lot easier to lift up a height as opposed to the single handled ones.

I prefer the two handled ones that I have now. A lot easier to lift up a height as opposed to the single handled ones.

Is that the one with the screw on top like below, i like the look of that, how do you find gaining access to clean it can you reach the bottom?

Fermenter-The-Home-Brew-Shop-UK.jpg

Is that the one with the screw on top like below, i like the look of that, how do you find gaining access to clean it can you reach the bottom?

Fermenter-The-Home-Brew-Shop-UK.jpg
I have 2 of these and they're excellent.Depends on your forearm as mine just gets through.As regards sealing all you need is a bit of Vaseline on the o-ring.
Airlock bubbles every time 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Latest posts

Back