Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Wheelers CAMRA how to..

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #11
Kman

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

I've got the Guinness export in the fv waiting to bottle there, my first ag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4400 Times on 3332 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman View Post
I've got the Guinness export in the fv waiting to bottle there, my first ag.

Which version have you got? I have the 3rd. That has a guinness receipe in it but not guinness export (unless of course you just boosted the ABV%)

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 689 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 969

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
To say I'm not disappointed would be an understatement. Never mind I can still find the odd IPA recipe. Is the key to these to use pale and Munich with plenty of hops added (citra casscade eg) during different stages of the boil with a nice dry hop?

I'm sure Theyl be a recipe on here I can follow.
I normally make mine up as i go along but 5kg extra pale 500g Vienna seems to work well or replace the Vienna with some crystal 30. I found a 15month old IPA in my mates fridge that i had put Oat malt in and that was superb. Still stunk. I uses Apollo for bittering mostly and throw in whatever hops i have available. Same with dry hopping. Punk IPA is a good one to try out.

Conditioning Lager, Kolsch, Pumpkin ale, Caramel Stout, NEIPA

Drinking Saaz Kolsch, Rye Kolsch, Kveik Cascade pale ale, Amarillo & Cascade IPA
BeerisGOD Likes This 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
photek1000

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I can also recommend getting both books, great reads, plenty of recipes and can usually be found at a discount price some where.

FV1: Empty
FV2: Empty

Conditioning:

Bottled - AG#2 Hobgoblin Style Ruby - might take a while, it's not bad but then again it isn't good , Slowly improving, very little carbonation, bit to malty in flavour

Drinking:

PB#1 - AG#4 - Exmoor Gold Clone
PB#2 - AG#5 - Brown Porter

Planning:

AG#6 Own recipe Mild 5L test batch

Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #15
Kman

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

Guinness extra sorry

Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Honk

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I too have both books, plenty of recipes to try and the ones I've done have been great, as you say the gw book not suggesting yeasts is a bit of a draw back but a Google search usually reveals what others have used for a particular recipe. Also some of the recipes are available in kit form based on the book so can look to see what yeast they supply with it. (Usually S04 I've found so far).
BeerisGOD Likes This 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
trueblue

Liked 100 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Graham has posted on other forums because inverted sugar is not easily accessible to the home brewer he formulated the recipes to use white sugar. I bought a 25kg of invert No.2 last year and it does make a difference but I would recommend golden syrup as a good in-between solution.
The reason he does not state yeast is because only the original brewery yeast will get a perfect clone. Some liquid yeasts are derived from the originals and would be a good option if you can match the correct one, Whitelabs WLP002 comes from Fullers as an example.
Brewlabs are the best bet to get close matches. Personally I would avoid SO4 like the plague, boring, bland and no character.
He has been quiet on the other forums as he is in the process of re-writing the Home Brewing book, not the recipe one. After a few years of disagreement with CAMRA, the publisher, and ill health he sounds determined to finish the book.
As I think he is by far the best writer in home brewing I can't wait.
Ali Likes This 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
Fil

Liked 871 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 26

GW's TTL recipe is one of my all time fav brews, am in awe of the chap for that contribution alone

Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #19
trueblue

Liked 100 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
GW's TTL recipe is one of my all time fav brews, am in awe of the chap for that contribution alone
Agree a great beer. Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast is reputed to be the Taylor's yeast, one day.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just sampling my first brew from the Greg Hughes book - Northern Bown Ale - served from a keg, wow it's good.
BeerisGOD Likes This