One drink for life.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Imagine this, you are only allowed to drink one variety of beer for the rest of your life whether it's home-brew or commercial.

My motivation for the thread was the realisation that you can have too much of a good thing. In the early stages of developing the all-important critical mass in terms of beer stocks, I realised that having a large stock of a single variety is a bit intimidating, especially if it is canny strong beer.

That's why I've got stout, lager, wheat beer and another lager on the go right now.....because my messed-about-with-a-bit bitter is a bit of a head-cracker. I couldn't live with it everyday.

So, given the desert island situation......and only possible that a dozen cases of the same ale can be washed ashore with you....

What ale would it be?

I would say my drink for life would be
anything with alcohol in it but not wine that's for swmbo

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label), dry and refreshing, and if I'm going to be there a while it may store better. I'll dig a cellar. Pairs well with seafood.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Assuming I've got a fridge - with electricity available - it would probably be a belgian abbey. Not an overly powerful one, 5 - 6.5% maybe. Probably Leffe Blone or Nectar.....if I must choose one......Nectar..... (probably)

If there's no fridge.....Fuller's ESB

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label), dry and refreshing, and if I'm going to be there a while it may store better.

Good choice, had a couple of these in Bruges and it was wonderful.
For me I'd have to choose Struise Pannepot, as close to a perfect beer as I've ever had.

Rochefort 10 for me.

If I could pick a brewery though it would be De Molen, everything I've had from them has been outstanding.

Only a dozen cases? :-?

I don't think I'd survive, so it had better be bloody good! Given it's a desert Island so it will be hot and I'd probably be living on fish, I'd say a Hoergaarten. Then again I haven't tried it in a bottle...

Brewdog Punk IPA or Thornbridge Jaipur. If I'm going off grid then I'm taking hops with me!

Badseed1974 and strange-steve if this island was north of the tropics it'd be those.

Sun, Seafood, Gueuze, I could go for a bit of that right now.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Wienstephan, not sure ive spelt it correctly but their wheat beer is my favourite of all time

Great idea for a thread. Flixon Breweries are just sampling Betty Firstbrew. A bitter that, to all intents and purposes, shouldn't have worked, but was resurrected by some people on here giving us some help, and now it's like moonshine which goes down incredibly well with great music.

For me, although I have a really varied palate, if it was an ale, I'd take Theakstons best. For Russ aka Rusty Waters, the other half and arguably, the better half of Flixon Breweries (it's his garage!), he would go with San Miguel.

if stuck on a desert island it would be f***ers to encourage me to build a boat to escape :lol:

otherwise liefmans goudenbrand because:

a) it really isn't to intense for the style so you'd not get sick of it.
b) the best before dates on the bottles is a good 10 years plus :-)

well this has got me thinking...commercial beer would be abbyvales "absolution" a cracking straw coloured bitter...but my favorite at the moment is clibits easy ag I have brewed it five time now with slight amendments to the recipe and I absolutely love it...so big ups to clibit for "converting" me to all grain.

Back