Slight Sulpher Smell to finished White Wine Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clare

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted a while ago about the instructions for a wilko wine kit contained nothing about racking the wine. Well, I'm pleased to say the wine came out tasting great, it was crystal clear today so I syphoned it into its bag. The only issue I have is it has a very very faint sulpher smell. It really doesn't affect the taste imo (I'm sure experts would disagree!).

So my question is first, is it going to kill me if I drink it?! Secondly how can I avoid this in future? I have a cab sav on the go currently and just sterilising the stuff to start an elderflower now so I'm keen to learn from previous mistakes.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I posted a while ago about the instructions for a wilko wine kit contained nothing about racking the wine. Well, I'm pleased to say the wine came out tasting great, it was crystal clear today so I syphoned it into its bag. The only issue I have is it has a very very faint sulpher smell. It really doesn't affect the taste imo (I'm sure experts would disagree!).

So my question is first, is it going to kill me if I drink it?! Secondly how can I avoid this in future? I have a cab sav on the go currently and just sterilising the stuff to start an elderflower now so I'm keen to learn from previous mistakes.

Thanks in advance.

Clare i think you will find this sulphur smell more with white wines get a electric whisk and whisk it for 5 mins re seal and leave to clear this will de gas it and help lift any bad smells , they will then disipate then bottle when clear. You can repeat this if need be oxygen wont ruin your wine like it does beer. i am waiting for the elder flowers to bloom they normally coincide with my gooseberries together they make a superb white.

Clare i think you will find this sulphur smell more with white wines get a electric whisk and whisk it for 5 mins re seal and leave to clear this will de gas it and help lift any bad smells , they will then disipate then bottle when clear. You can repeat this if need be oxygen wont ruin your wine like it does beer. i am waiting for the elder flowers to bloom they normally coincide with my gooseberries together they make a superb white.

Thank you for the info, the only trouble is I've already bagged it and in the 20 minutes since my last post have started off an elderflower kit in my only spare DJ (I only have 2 currently). I only noticed the sulphur smell once I'd poured myself a glass from it (I realise I probably should have done this before syphoning the lot). If I was to leave the wine as it is will it spoil? Did it happen because I didn't leave it long enough to clear, or I didn't shake it up enough to de gas it?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions! I'm really enjoying this new hobby and I'm keen to learn more.

Thank you for the info, the only trouble is I've already bagged it and in the 20 minutes since my last post have started off an elderflower kit in my only spare DJ (I only have 2 currently). I only noticed the sulphur smell once I'd poured myself a glass from it (I realise I probably should have done this before syphoning the lot). If I was to leave the wine as it is will it spoil? Did it happen because I didn't leave it long enough to clear, or I didn't shake it up enough to de gas it?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions! I'm really enjoying this new hobby and I'm keen to learn more.

Clare, if you cant whisk, it needs air try pluging the bag with cotton wool or a piece of tissue for 24hrs or a couple of days just to stop any thing entering but can let the smell out. if your any were near nottingham i will give you a couple more demi johns.

Clare, if you cant whisk, it needs air try pluging the bag with cotton wool or a piece of tissue for 24hrs or a couple of days just to stop any thing entering but can let the smell out. if your any were near nottingham i will give you a couple more demi johns.

I've followed your advice thank you, That's so kind of you to offer but unfortunately I'm west mids rather than east :-( I told myself I'd finish 1 more kit with some success before I went buying anymore equiptment or start experimenting too much as I can get carried away with these things but fingers crossed the red turns out ok!

Latest posts

Back