Greetings! Flixon Breweries Here. Major Update.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flixonbrews

Reaction score
A lovely afternoon, the sun is shining on Flixon Breweries as the master brewers sit here sampling the delights of their toil. We've only had a pint a piece and we've got a wobble on. Now that's what you call BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!

We've had some great pointers from these forums, thank goodness for them, because without them, we'd have been left with nothing but sweetened glasses of cloudy water. We've read, we've digested, we've conquered, and now... we're going to go for another taste.

Now, we've not hydrometered this out properly, but we think we've invented a 7-8% proof beauty, with the rippling torso of a raging bull. It is a prize greater than avarice.

You guys know who you are. You helped us when we accidentally spilled double the amount of sugar into it. Now, Betty Firstbrew tastes like licorice with a kick like a bucking bronco. We would also like to formally thank Wilkos for that extra packet of yeast.

We would also like to thank Roddy, because he's given us his recipe for a turbo cider, which we've just stuck in the bucket today. Life is good, life is customs and excise free. I can tell you this, Flixon Master Brewers are looking knowingly at each other when we see something remotely suitable for fermentation... this is the beginning, not the end.

We see expansion... we see the future... we see moonshine.

Beautiful Ale.jpg

Turbo Cider.jpg

Well done!
+1 on the no distil, not only illegal but can be dangerous. However you can make high alcohol sugar only 'washes' up to about 20% ABV and then use flavour for Scotch, Gin etc. Your local HBS will help you there (there is one on Oldham Rd, not so far from you)
Do enjoy but have a care for your liver!
Cheers

Unless Theressa May is a home brewer and is itching to try her hand at distilling, I'm not sure it's that high on her list of priorities (Corbyn looks like he'd home brew though doesnt he?)
Well as far as I understand, he makes his own jam, but drinks very little alcohol, perhaps he could add legal home distilling on to the upcoming manifesto :whistle:
Cheers!

I took that info from here: http://www.hopsandvineshomebrew.co....n-distilling-alcohol-for-personal-consumption

I have no idea if it is right or not. :lol:

It isn't, but I can see why they are confused. They point to a directive that advises that member states not charge duty on non-commercial home made beer, wine and other fermented beverages, and a couple of legal cases since have clarified that this exemption doesn't cover spirits. However, it doesn't prohibit home-distillation, it just means that if you do make it at home you have to pay tax, although the government can charge a reduced rate of tax (up to 50% off). For instance, in Hungary it is common to distil Pálinka at home. The Hungarian government weren't charging tax on this, and they got reprimanded by the European Court of Justice, who pointed to this directive. Now they've changed that law; home distilling is still completely legal, its just that you have to pay 50% of the tax that commercial spirits manufacturers have to. The barrier in the UK is not that directive, but the fact that getting a licence to distil is impossible in practice for a home brewer, and it is UK law that is the source of the problem.

Latest posts

Back