Drilling hole in fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Have my kegerator up and running nearly a year now and going great just want to put the co2 tank on outside so I can fit three kegs in instead of too just can't get the courage to drill whole in the side of fridge with fear of hitting pipe and wrecking fridge any tips or advice at all

Iv drilled mine in the side no problems
I think it's only insulation on the outside of fridges all the important stuffs at the back

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm with Clarkeuk on this one. I think most fridges have the pipe work at the back only. When its running, only the back wall gets cold to the touch and condensates, which leaves me to believe that's where the cooling pipes are. I do understand your anxiety though....

Yep, I've drilled 2 fridges & a freezer through the sides & doors without any problems

Go for it ! Drill through the outer skin carefully then poke a pencil through the insulation to make sure no wires etc are there then go all the way through. If there are any wires there you will be able to push them out of the way with the pencil.

wpf829f0a0_05_06.jpg

Iv drilled mine in the side no problems
I think it's only insulation on the outside of fridges all the important stuffs at the back

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Cool I think I'll go for it then want to have three kegs in the fridge and am hoping to get mixed gas for stout set up so would need the gases on outside otherwise won't be able to do it

the works for most fridges are at the back, so go easy and just drill through the outer and the bit should hand push through the insulation until the inner plastic skin, then a simple few turns of the drill will go through

I've just drilled the side of mine with no probs..

I did mine slightly different but it still seemed to work.

I CAREFULLY cut out a small square of plastic from the inside wall of where I was going to put my gas line, then poked through with a nail to see if i hit anything which I didn't (except the outer wall), I then got my drill and made a small hole from the inside and through the outer wall, I then got a bigger bit and drilled from outside knowing I was safe to make a nice hole there without hitting any cooling lines :)

20170428_154255.jpg

Easy. Get a six inch nail and heat the sharp end. Hold it in a pair of pliers and push it through the side wall from the inside. If it touches the metal skin you know where to drill and have a ready made pilot hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are no wires in the side other than those leading to lights and switches (easily avoided with even a dry hop of common sense) and it's really, really, really difficult to burn a metal pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I meant with mine.. Yep I went a bit overkill with the hole on the inside of the fridge but I can fill it back up with expanding foam or maybe just sealer or something and I have a square bit of plastic I can hide it with but I wanted to be 100% sure there was NOTHING in there (I've already managed to cut through a wire for the door switch)

20170430_143526.jpg

20170430_143607.jpg

If there is a plastic step in the bottom of the fridge like mine. I used an old soldering iron to pierce that from the back. It won't damage any cooling pipework if it hits it. I didn't but the soldering iron is trashed due to the insulation burnt onto it.

Latest posts

Back