Another yeast thread... harvesting & starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
I know there are numerous threads already but just looking for advice.

I've always used dry yeast till now, just had a crack at another NEIPA using a Yeast Bay Vermont ale liquid yeast. So I should have a go at harvesting this I reckon, right? Never done so before nor used a starter. Couple of links below with advice from Beersmith. Can anyone let me know if this sounds about right for each method?

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/07/25/yeast-washing-reusing-your-yeast/

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/01/making-a-yeast-starter-for-your-home-brew-beer/

You don't need to bother washing the yeast IMO, there are many sources which advocate storing it under beer rather than water. It's really simple to do, leave a bit of beer in the bottom of the FV (about 1l), swirl it around for a few minutes to break up the flocs of yeast then pour in to a sanitised container. Leave it to settle for about half an hour before pouring into another, smaller, container leaving the heavy trub that has settled behind. After that just put it in the fridge, if you use it within 2 or 3 weeks then just pour off the spent work and chuck in to your next brew, if longer you can make another starter. If you have a stir plate you can look at overbuilding as an alternative to harvesting.

Starters are pretty easy too, just add 100g of DME for each litre of starter you intend to make and top up to your starter volume (+ a little bit for boil off) with water. Boil for 15 minutes, chill and pitch the yeast. If you have a stir plate put it on there, otherwise shake as often as you can. I pitch the following day, including the spent wort from the starter but you can leave it a couple of days to ferment fully, cold crash and decant the spent wort before pitching. MrMalty is a common yeast calculator although I tend to use the Home Brew Dad one.

The most important thing with both of these is to be very thorough with your sanitisation.

Latest posts

Back