The 40 Greatest Rock Riffs Of All Time revealed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a baffled view on third place? I try to respect the older bands but from a sand out riff I'm struggling

Oh ****. I'll try from my laptop tomorrow chippy

Cheers

I read it too. Whilst there are some blinders in there....pretty sure Cochise by Audioslave should be in there somewhere

There's some awesome riffs missing from that list, some of my faves:
I'm Broken by Pantera (imo the best guitar riff ever)
Combustion by Meshuggah
Peace Sells by Megadeth
Bullet in the Head by RATM
Blood and Thunder by Mastodon
Just a few that come to mind...

Uriah heap are good live and throw out many riffs off cuff (used to might be arthritic now lol), not my favourite song of theirs someone voted for it.

Some great songs there, but really? No house of the rising sun? No Dream Theatre? No Pantera? Why is Voodoo Chile languishing at #21? Crazy.

It's all personal taste etc etc but to me the most glaring and obvious omission is BOCs Don't Fear The Reaper. A moment's thought would bring forth loads more. Is Boston's More Than A Feeling in there before I go back and check? Y'know, the one that sounds exactly like Nirvana's Teen Spirit but about 17 years earler lol.

There's some awesome riffs missing from that list, some of my faves:
I'm Broken by Pantera (imo the best guitar riff ever)
Combustion by Meshuggah
Peace Sells by Megadeth
Bullet in the Head by RATM
Blood and Thunder by Mastodon
Just a few that come to mind...

I was thinking peace slls today as one that should have been in there somewhere.
But tbh planet rock scarcely places anything heavier than Metallica so I wasn't surprised with pantera and the like not being on the list.
Is there a specific DJ that plays heavier stuff on there?

Is Boston's More Than A Feeling in there before I go back and check? Y'know, the one that sounds exactly like Nirvana's Teen Spirit but about 17 years earler lol.

Yeah it does sound like that, never thought of that don't have any Boston albumns, but recall it in my vast drunken memory. Good on you for noticing that.

Yeah it does sound like that, never thought of that don't have any Boston albumns, but recall it in my vast drunken memory. Good on you for noticing that.

You're welcome. If I was Tom Scholtz I'd have put a claim in years ago.

I was thinking peace slls today as one that should have been in there somewhere.
But tbh planet rock scarcely places anything heavier than Metallica so I wasn't surprised with pantera and the like not being on the list.
Is there a specific DJ that plays heavier stuff on there?

Ah, I thought it was the greatest guitar riffs but just realised it's actually the greatest rock riffs. That's what I get for skim reading :doh:

Clearly a list voted for by people who have never touched a guitar in their lives, or know what a riff is. Some of them aren't even the best riffs by the bands featured imho. Great track, but Comfortably Numb doesn't even have a riff in it.

No Reaper or Fear of the Dark?
And the best Rush riff is Spirit and not Limelight, Bastille Day or 2112?
And no Montrose (Rock Candy, Space Station No 5) or Boston?
And no Muse?
And, most criminal of all, no Thin Lizzy???
Seems like they had a limited list to choose from.

Clearly a list voted for by people who have never touched a guitar in their lives, or know what a riff is. Some of them aren't even the best riffs by the bands featured imho. Great track, but Comfortably Numb doesn't even have a riff in it.

Shall we do our own list and compare?

Latest posts

Back