Gales Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to give re- culturing a go then; I've successfully done it with Cooper's before, and did enjoy it. Can I ask a question, is there any advantage to using the dregs from a few bottles at the same time? I'm thinking I would be prepared to undertake the great sacrifice of drinking a few in order to improve my chances of success. I'm good like that. :-)

I'll have to give re- culturing a go then; I've successfully done it with Cooper's before, and did enjoy it. Can I ask a question, is there any advantage to using the dregs from a few bottles at the same time? I'm thinking I would be prepared to undertake the great sacrifice of drinking a few in order to improve my chances of success. I'm good like that. :-)

Of course, if you use the dregs from more bottles you'll have more 'seed' yeast to culture up

I shall be putting the Gales yeast into this Ordinary Bitter recipe I created. Note the modest late addition as I hopefully will be getting lots of dundee cake flavour esters and I dont want to overwhelm any ester flavours with hops

Gales Ordinary 10L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 3.83 %
Colour (SRM): 6.6 (EBC): 12.9
Bitterness (IBU): 22.9 (Average)

Pale Irish Malt 1.3kg
Flaked Barley 130g
Biscuit 100g
Crystal 60L 80g

10g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
4g East Kent Golding (6.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C for 24hours then 20C for the rest of fermentation

So I pitched this bad boy about 12 o'clock today. Yesterday, the yeast seemed to have finished in the starter so I left it overnight without shaking it in the evening or morning. This yeast seems quite flocculant and mostly had settled out without the need for me to put it in the fridge to crash it out of the spent wort. So I poured most of the spent wort off and give it a good swirl and pitched

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the fermentation schedule is 23.5C for 24 hours then 20C for the rest of the fermentation. My kitching floor was close to 23C ambient which means during during fermentation the yeast would push the temp up to (Im guessing ) about 25C. So I chilled the wort down to 21C and put the FV in my BrewBag with a 2L ice bottle.

It's currently sitting at about 21C and has just started to ferment :thumb:

The brew had a krausen after about 9 hours. I've just added some more ice bottle to take it down to about19C ambient.
I also harvested 250ml of fermenting wort from just below the krausen. This will ferment out and settle out to a nice amount of yeast to put into a starter next time I want to use this strain.

Well, this is definately a top cropping strain. When I harvested some yeast from below the krausen yesterday, the krausen was white and fluffy. This morning the krausen had changed and was creamy coloured and quite dense. Now this evening the cente of the krausen has grown and squashed itself up against the cling film I put on top of the FV. I'm hoping the krausen doesnt grow any more else it'll escape out of the FV and into the brew bag :-?

I took a gravity sample a couple of days ago as it looked finish but it only had 63% attenuation. Last time I cultured the strain up it had 75% attenuation, so I gave the yeast a rouse to get it going again. It threw another krausen so the rouse definately seemed to work.
I think what may have caused the yeast to stall was the change of temp after 24 hours. I think next time, if I follow the same fermentation schedule I'll rouse it straight after I drop the temp.

I took another gravity sample today and it's up to 74% attenuation, so I'll package tommorow. Of course I drank the gravity sample; it's very fruity, not dark fruit fruit cake though as I was expecting. Loads of esters, very English tasting. Just what I wanted

MyQul, sorry to drag this thread up, but I've brought some Fuller's ESB tonight from Tesco, is it the same beer? Because I'm pretty sure this isn't bottle conditioned. Hoping they haven't rebranded / changed it. :-(

MyQul, sorry to drag this thread up, but I've brought some Fuller's ESB tonight from Tesco, is it the same beer? Because I'm pretty sure this isn't bottle conditioned. Hoping they haven't rebranded / changed it. :-(

No, ufortunately it's not. Fuller ESB isnt bottle conditioned. If your after the Fullers strain you need either Bengal Lancer or 1845. If you after the Gales strain you need Gales HSB

That's actually good to hear; I was worried that I'd missed out on reculturing this one because Gales ESB appears to have disappeared from the supermarket website's, and a Google search for it only really brings up Fuller's ESB , so I was thinking of was another that had been messed about with. I'll keep looking!

That's actually good to hear; I was worried that I'd missed out on reculturing this one because Gales ESB appears to have disappeared from the supermarket website's, and a Google search for it only really brings up Fuller's ESB , so I was thinking of was another that had been messed about with. I'll keep looking!

I'm not sure they sell it in tesco. I bought it from ASDA

Hi!
I must have missed this thread earlier, but read it with great interest.
I assume that, if you want to brew more than one batch of a particular beer, you could overbuild the yeast and reserve part of it in the fridge for another brew.

Hi!
I must have missed this thread earlier, but read it with great interest.
I assume that, if you want to brew more than one batch of a particular beer, you could overbuild the yeast and reserve part of it in the fridge for another brew.

That's one way to do it. But I do something called 'yeast skavenging' which I picked up from jim's. 36 hours after pitching I take a 250ml pop bottle (you'd use a 500ml for a full 23L but I only make 10L brews) and using a turkey baster I fill the pop bottle from just below the krausen and put the lid on loosely. I then let the pop bottle ferment out, tighen the lid and put it in the fridge. When it comes to using it, I pour off the beer (and drink it of course) and put the yeast at the bottom into a starter.
This method is very like top cropping but works with strains that dont have a big krausen

Spotted a tweet from Marble Brewery earlier for you Gales Fans,

What a beautiful sight to behold! All four barrel-aged varieties of our @fullers collab Gale's Prize Old Ale are almost ready to go - any takers?
DPPQbk-WAAA2mtT.jpg

Hi!
Lidl have bottle conditioned Marston's Pedigree Amber Ale at ��£1.25 (if memory serves me well). Any opinions on this beer? What yeast strain do Marston's use?

image.jpeg

Back