Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Gales Yeast

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4405 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 4628

I put the gales yeast in the bitter I made on sat. I have it in my brewbag. The ambient temp in the bag is 16C. The yeast seem quite happy at this temp and is fermenting away.

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 10-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

The krausen for this yeast is like a Conservative Prime Minister, it just doesnt want to go. It's quite thick and is just sitting there on the top of the beer. I've tried banging the side of the FV but it just comes back again if any of it drops

pms67 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
IainM

Liked 804 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
The krausen for this yeast is like a Conservative Prime Minister, it just doesnt want to go. It's quite thick and is just sitting there on the top of the beer. I've tried banging the side of the FV but it just comes back again if any of it drops
Yup, that is exactly what happened to me with Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. Thick, dense krausen sitting on clear-looking wort. Stir it in, and the next day there it is again, sitting like the cream solidifying at the top of a can of coconut milk. It did thin out eventually, but took 19 days in the fv before it dropped. Once it did though, it was the most flocculant yeast I've ever seen. Even more than WLP002. I could've picked up the fv and poured the beer into the bottling bucket without disturbing the yeast cake!
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Yup, that is exactly what happened to me with Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. Thick, dense krausen sitting on clear-looking wort. Stir it in, and the next day there it is again, sitting like the cream solidifying at the top of a can of coconut milk. It did thin out eventually, but took 19 days in the fv before it dropped. Once it did though, it was the most flocculant yeast I've ever seen. Even more than WLP002. I could've picked up the fv and poured the beer into the bottling bucket without disturbing the yeast cake!
Well it seems to have dropped now, so just seems to hang around a couple of days more than usual

Old 16-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #15
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

I cant quite remember what I did with the harvested yeast the first time I cultured this up. Im going to do it again today. Got another bottle of HSB to harvest (which I will drink while I'm watching Man City vs Napoli later - interesting game seeing as both team are boths on form at the mo)

Old 16-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Got this from the barclay perkins blog. So it seem the Gales yeast may be a Whitbread B strain/similar to WY1098. I read that It also may be similar to WY1332 American Northwest. As an american brewer had smuggled some from the UK to use in a US brewery

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk...yeast-map.html

Gales of Horndean started their strain off by borrowing Whitbread B Strain from Brickwoods of Portsmouth (now gone). They then bred from it, thereby developing their own sub-strain. This was also used by Devenish (now gone), Tisbury (now gone) (who also sub-cultured from Gales) and Gibbs Mew of Salisbury (now gone. Strongs (of Romsey (now gone),Wethereds of Marlow (now gone. It seems that Whitbread yeast may have had a jinx on it. Nearly all the breweries that used it closed after take-overs!! Whitbread B strain , which is probably similar to the 1098 British Ale yeast, is a rapid fermenting, good attenuating and medium to high flocculative yeast. It is also robust and takes acid washing well. It's even quite easy to culture and remains pretty clear with low mutation rate Pitch at 65F, ferment at 65-68F and clean, crisp beers are produced. An excellent yeast, which I can highly recommend it - that is if you don't mind if you don't mind being taken over and closed down as a by-product!
Alastair Wallace -retired HB Tisbury Brewery PLC

Old 16-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Excellent little film about the now defunct Gales brewery - complete with steam powered grain mill

IainM Likes This 
Old 18-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

After two days this is culturing up nicely. I thought I'd cocked up as I had the bottle of HSB in the fridge for a day or two but then I took it out for some reason. Of course when I opened it, it foamed up, which I thought may have lifted the yeast off the bottom of the bottle and into the rest of the beer.

I've been reading some stuff on Jims about needing less yeast than we think we do. I put the dregs into 200ml and will put that into 1L tommorow. I'll then pitch that into 10L of wort three days later. If it works (which I think it will judging by the amount of yeast in the 200ml) I think I may have to do a new bottle culturing guide in the light of new information.

I also came across some fermentation schedule temps on Jims too. For this yeast to give it's characteristic dundee cake flavour to the beer, it needs to be held at 23.5C for 24hours then dropped to 20C for the rest of fermentation. Fortunately my kitchen floor is about that temp and I can then stick the FV in my brewbag to get it down to 20C for the remainder of the fermentation

Old 19-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

I'm putting the 200ml into 1L of wort today. I was really surprised a how much yeast their was in the bottom of the 2L water bottle I had the 200ml in, when I had a look this morning. Especially considering their was just a light dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottle of HSB

Old 19-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
jjsh

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How does the recultured ESB yeast compare with the dried ESB yeast you can buy, or should I say, is the dried stuff anything like the real stuff that you recultured?

Brewing: Nothing till the weekend.
Conditioning: Coopers Canadian Blonde, Brew Enhancer, 500g Medium DME, 25g Bobek 15 mins, 25g 5 mins. 25g dry hop. CML Real Ale yeast.
Drinking: Commercial Beer, as I've been out of the homebrew loop for a few years