Do you drink too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
on a scale of 1/10 where are you above the govt guidelines?
I think I am 8 plus,cant help it love my beer always have done always will and at nearly 64 the beer gut is creeping up on me although I am still fairly fit and active but succoming to the inevitable,its gonna get me in the end this 5/6% water :thumb:

Can't be bothered to work it out. Certainly more than I 'should' but not by too much. What I do drink too much of is coffee - I have chronic insomnia and spend most of the time carrying on like that tasmanian devil off the cartoons. Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine all to excess. Can't be good for one, what what?

think I am around 7-8 beer gut had that for some time
or it maybe just from eating to much

I would say I drink more than they recommend, we have had this discussion before and the general feeling was they are playing on the safe side (for obvious reasons) so a little more ain't going to hurt, if we stuck to eating and drinking what they suggest and not what we like we would probably live a bit longer but imagine how boring life would be

About a 1, 2 at a push. I have 3-4 beers on a Friday and the same on a Saturday and that's my lot for the week (unless I have a long weekend or something off work). I believe 3-4 in one sitting is considered binge drinking, which is why I've given myself a score but in terms of overall weekly units I'm well under the recommended.

I think I'm pretty high up there. But I don't get plastered even if I drink all night. But I do at least 2 beers a day. House parties, which we have 2 or 3 times a month, we'll devistate 2 kegs in one night.

yes i drink too much.. or i did. i would drink every night to relax after work as most people do, problem is along with drinking comes snacking as well, i went to the quack with an issue a while ago and honestly discussed my intake,he suggested seeing a dietician inhouse which i did, i went because of a diabetes worry, and you dont have to be overweight to be diabetic, after having a meeting with the dietician i cut out snacking, and now normally drink on sat night, i still might have a brew midweek but not often, havent changed anything else but have lost weight, sleep better, swmbo says the snoring has all but gone. mind you i have just had 2 holidays in 3 weeks and went balls out as you do when on your holidays! lol and i can feel it now, so back to normality, now im 51 and dont want health issues because of my beer/snacking intake over many many years, i love my homebrew but now in moderation.......wow, free shrink talk and it didnt cost me a penny! lmao!!

Hmm. Not too bad at the moment - 6 pints on Monday night, a glass at the Orbit tap room yesterday afternoon and a glass of 70% Absinthe (awful stuff) last night.

I've gone months of having at least half a bottle of wine a night with heaving sessions at the weekend, so it varies a lot. A five on average I expect.

Well, I have 4 kegs and I manage to keep up, so I'd say just about right!

I do have 1-2 dry days a week usually - because my greatest fear is to become an alcoholic and have to give up drinking. :-?

When I was in the Royal Marines based at Poole my oppo and I used to have four pints and a pie every lunchtime. I never bothered counting the evening drinks.

been there and done it,when in my 20s used to do 7 dinner time sessions at at least 4 pints and 7 evening sessions the same and the dinner sessions where on a 45 minute break for lunch at work and think nothing of cramming a giant torpedo cob in with them too:thumb:

I have 2/3 drinks on a Friday and Saturday. Because the summer is nearly here and I am cycling more i tend to have less on a Saturday. I have recently been drinking a lot more 330ml cans/bottles and don't find myself drinking any more than I would if it was a bigger bottle

I have 2/3 drinks on a Friday and Saturday. Because the summer is nearly here and I am cycling more i tend to have less on a Saturday. I have recently been drinking a lot more 330ml cans/bottles and don't find myself drinking any more than I would if it was a bigger bottle

I'm the same. I tend to use either my Spiegelau IPA glass (2/3pint) or tulip glass (400ml) to keep my consumption down if I'm drinking beers over 5% ABV.

A couple on Fri, same on Sat, usually have a half on a couple of days through the week.

Pretty low really.

Does anyone else find it intriguing that us homebrewers ( with seemingly limitless supplies) exhibit such restraint, be it intentionally or naturally?

In a word YES. I don't drink on school nights but the rest of the time far too much

Back