Seeking lighter coloured malt!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I remember not long ago having a much lighter in colour IPA in a spoons pub. I have noticed that extra pale malt still doesn't give me that light yellow appearance this pint did.

Any idea on what malt I'm looking for. I'm thinking ghostship colour. (Or the ghostship base malt)

Cheers

i think the Malt Miller have a clone kit of Ghostship. IIRC it uses golden Promise, Crystal Rye and Carapils

Hi everyone

I remember not long ago having a much lighter in colour IPA in a spoons pub. I have noticed that extra pale malt still doesn't give me that light yellow appearance this pint did.

Any idea on what malt I'm looking for. I'm thinking ghostship colour. (Or the ghostship base malt)

Cheers

Is it possible that Spoons used something other than malt as part of their recipe? A little rice maybe?

Maris Otter Extra Pale (Muntons: EBC 3) is probably more suited to an IPA than a continental pilsner malt if you want to retain the traditional IPA flavour balance. The usual suppliers have it in stock.

Maris Otter Extra Pale (Muntons: EBC 3) is probably more suited to an IPA than a continental pilsner malt if you want to retain the traditional IPA flavour balance. The usual suppliers have it in stock.
The colour will depend on what the maltster does with their Maris Otter barley. Munton's EBC 3 may still be a bit high (?); the claim for Warminster's Maris Otter Pale Malt Low Colour is 2.5 (BrewUK).

I wouldn't worry about "flavour balance". "Traditional" (19th century) IPA may have used white malt which you can't get (possibly for good reason?) and it was just dried without the heat that might have toasted the malt (lager malt, extra pale malt, etc. are all toasted just a wee bit).

Back