Gales Festival Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Have been planning this for a while now. For some strange reason, I have almost no actual Crystal Malt in stock at present, but this makes no real difference to the intrepid, if poorly prepared, Slid:

MO 5kg
Black Malt 300g
Crystal 80g
Cara Aroma 120g

Will add 500g dark unrefined sugar

Endeavour hops (2014 harvest, will be fine...)

30g at first wort
15g at 15mins
15g at 5mins
40g at 0mins

I've got the GW recipe of this in the fv at the moment, though I ditched the sugar and subbed black for roasted malt. I used Wyeast 1332, as apparently it is the Gales strain, but this is the slowest fermentation I've ever head. The smack pack inflated quickly, and the starter looked good, but its been 16 days in the fv and still has a krausen.

I've got the GW recipe of this in the fv at the moment, though I ditched the sugar and subbed black for roasted malt. I used Wyeast 1332, as apparently it is the Gales strain, but this is the slowest fermentation I've ever head. The smack pack inflated quickly, and the starter looked good, but its been 16 days in the fv and still has a krausen.

Here is a quote from the US Homebrew site, there are many others, but this one may help:

"Mine I usually ferment at 68 (68F is 20C). Reason being it is a slow and steady worker and sometimes you have to ramp it up to coax the last few points out of it. Good luck".

My own take on yeasts for homebrewers is that modern houses are just too warm for most traditional English yeast strains to function well. Hence my preference for using US 05. Secondary choices include Coopers yeast or a Belgian or Saison. Nottingham does not get a look in as it just does not like girly 22C + temps.

Have been planning this for a while now. For some strange reason, I have almost no actual Crystal Malt in stock at present, but this makes no real difference to the intrepid, if poorly prepared, Slid:

MO 5kg
Black Malt 300g
Crystal 80g
Cara Aroma 120g

30g at first wort
15g at 15mins
15g at 5mins
40g at 0mins

I did forget to add that I think it will be Safeale 04 English Ale Yeast. Just by way of variety.

Here is a quote from the US Homebrew site, there are many others, but this one may help:

"Mine I usually ferment at 68 (68F is 20C). Reason being it is a slow and steady worker and sometimes you have to ramp it up to coax the last few points out of it. Good luck".

My own take on yeasts for homebrewers is that modern houses are just too warm for most traditional English yeast strains to function well. Hence my preference for using US 05. Secondary choices include Coopers yeast or a Belgian or Saison. Nottingham does not get a look in as it just does not like girly 22C + temps.

Cheers. It seems that that weather has been doing the ramping up for me, but still taking its bloody time. Luckily the trial jars taste promising! I've got two packs of US-05 for the next brew, precisely because of the weather, but at this rate the heat wave will be over by the time I get to put it on. I'm sure S-04 will make short shrift of yours.

MO 5kg
Black Malt 300g
Crystal 80g
Cara Aroma 120g

30g at first wort
15g at 15mins
15g at 5mins
40g at 0mins

As it turned out, I decided against the last hop addition altogether, as it would be swamped a bit by the malts.

Back