Replacement element for peco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
looking to replace or have a spare element fro my Peco boiler as the element is starting to collect too much crud for my liking(burnt on wort). I have tried everything scrubbing with pan scrubber boiling with oxi the only thing that works is removing the element and scraping with the back edge of a knife fork or spoon but will this not eventually damage the element.
I have looked at the replacement but they seem to be around £25 and can not seem to find a cheap kettle around that I can adapt they all seem to be the sort that sit on a base plate nowadays - any thoughts chaps
Thanks Pete

try a warm cirtic acid soak, you can find it with the laundry oxi and decalcification tablets for washing machines in Wilco's tho black crud smells of carbon which is usually the result of burning sugars on the element ? Perhaps if you tried boiling with slightly less power by employing a resistance controlled ssr as a budget power manager you might not get the problem.

Stir regularly while you're heating wort to the boil. It's the same principal as heating a sauce in a pan. If you don't stir while it's heating up then the liquid in contact with the element will burn. Once it's boiling you can stop - by then the liquid's moving around fast enough by itself to avoid burning. I stir and my peco control is set to 10, the max, permanently. I never have burning or cut-outs, just a little light brown coating that is easily wiped off during the wash afterwards with PBW.

Latest posts

Back