Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > Martin's Brewday

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default Martin's Brewday

Recently moved to Norwich, and only just got my feet underneath me - this is my first brew in several months.

It is by way of an experiment, for two reasons:
1. I've got a burco boiler (�£20 Gumtree) rather than using stove top pans. Plan to use the burco as a hlt and to boil wort.

2. I have drilled out (2mm) an FV to act as a grain basket, rather than use a bag for the mash. The hope is that this will enable a more controlled lauter and sparge.

The recipe is a clone of St Peter's IPA. It's a Norwich Brew Club challenge, in advance of a visit to St Peter's brewery and a taste off, judged by their brewer (I think).

Recipe:
the recipe for 23L is

OG 1.054 ABV 5.5%

5kg Pale malt (they use Propino - I've only got MO)
Mash for 70 minutes.
Boil for 75 minutes.
37g of First Gold at the start of the boil, 26g at flame out, leave for 15 minutes then cool.
Ferment at 18c

The brewery did provide some of their own yeast to club members, but I missed that, so it's S05..

Will keep updated....
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
Covrich Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
Covrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 4,382
Liked 1434 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHaworth View Post
Recently moved to Norwich, and only just got my feet underneath me - this is my first brew in several months.

It is by way of an experiment, for two reasons:
1. I've got a burco boiler (��£20 Gumtree) rather than using stove top pans. Plan to use the burco as a hlt and to boil wort.

2. I have drilled out (2mm) an FV to act as a grain basket, rather than use a bag for the mash. The hope is that this will enable a more controlled lauter and sparge.

The recipe is a clone of St Peter's IPA. It's a Norwich Brew Club challenge, in advance of a visit to St Peter's brewery and a taste off, judged by their brewer (I think).

Recipe:
the recipe for 23L is

OG 1.054 ABV 5.5%

5kg Pale malt (they use Propino - I've only got MO)
Mash for 70 minutes.
Boil for 75 minutes.
37g of First Gold at the start of the boil, 26g at flame out, leave for 15 minutes then cool.
Ferment at 18c

The brewery did provide some of their own yeast to club members, but I missed that, so it's S05..

Will keep updated....
Sounds nice and pretty easy simple practically a SMASH brew

Should be nice either way but maybe you missed a trick with the yeast.. Will be interesting to see what difference you think it makes.. you may prefer your own.
__________________
Planning

Longhorn American IPA
True lager
Small left over Pale expermients

Fermenting / Conditioning

Lager AG 5%


Drinking

Sour Hen 5.8%
Turbo Cider 5%
Weize Guy Kristalwiezen 5%
Longhorn 5.6%
UmBongo 5%

Covrich is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Okay, just cleaned up.

Mash went well, and far more straightforward having a grain basket Vs bag.

When I came to lauter and sparge the flow through the grain was so slow I had to assist. Wonder if the holes need boring out to 3 mm in the basket (2mm at present)

Used the burco to​ boil the wort. This was ok, but the thermostat clicked off for 2 mins n every 10....not sure how much of a problem this is...it was all still north of 100.

Ended up doing no chill, will pitch tomorrow.

Learning points:

1. Disconnect thermostat in burco
2. Drill out grain basket to 3mm.

Overall easier than 4 pans on the stove.

Cheers

Martin
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covrich View Post
Sounds nice and pretty easy simple practically a SMASH brew

Should be nice either way but maybe you missed a trick with the yeast.. Will be interesting to see what difference you think it makes.. you may prefer your own.
Agreed about the yeast, the missus was away at the last minute and I couldn't make the meeting!
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
fuggled
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 54
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHaworth View Post
Okay, just cleaned up.

Mash went well, and far more straightforward having a grain basket Vs bag.

When I came to lauter and sparge the flow through the grain was so slow I had to assist. Wonder if the holes need boring out to 3 mm in the basket (2mm at present)

Used the burco to​ boil the wort. This was ok, but the thermostat clicked off for 2 mins n every 10....not sure how much of a problem this is...it was all still north of 100.

Ended up doing no chill, will pitch tomorrow.

Learning points:

1. Disconnect thermostat in burco
2. Drill out grain basket to 3mm.

Overall easier than 4 pans on the stove.

Cheers

Martin
Just an idea mate, but why not get some fine mesh for the bottom of the bucket? Maybe cut a larger hole and layer over it with a mesh like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111921789676

That could work?
fuggled is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Bottled. As you all know, it's been a bit hot, but tasting well.

Went from 1054 to 1006, so looking like a strong one...
Now to wait!

Cheers

Martin
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Just got back from a top evening at St Peters Brewery with Norwich Brew Club.

Great tour, lots of lovely beers. Head brewer Steve helped judge our efforts at St Peters IPA. Great welcome from club member at St Peters guide Robin.

Mine effort at St Peters IPA was pretty poor, but it didn't matter - I think 10 of us had tried it out.

If you are in the Norfolk area and brew, please do consider joining.

Cheers

Martin
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Squeezed in a cheeky brew today based on what I had in - an IPA based on Aurora for bittering and Wolf for aroma.

Sort of made it up as I went along:

5kg MO
0.25kg crystal

1 hour mash at 65

1 hour boil:

35g Aurora 60 mins
10g Wolf 15 mins
15g Wolf 5 mins
10g Wolf at FO

Will dry hop with the balance of 15g Aurora and 15g Wolf after 5 days.

Safale 05 is what I had in, so that's what it got!

Let's see...
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
MartinHaworth
Norwich brewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norwich
Posts: 237
Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Quick question:

FV timings when summer brewing.

I normally allow 2 weeks in the FV, dry hopping after 5 days.

This brew has gone off like a rocket and looks like it will have stopped fermenting by day 4. Any comments around scaling back the time in the FV, or would that be ill advisde.

Thanks

Martin
__________________
Drinking: Smoked Stout, Wherry, Fiery Ginger Beer, Brewferm Old Flemish Brown, scrumpy, GH Ruby Mild
Conditioning: AG White Shield clone, Cooper's cerveza with citra dry hop.
FV: empty!
MartinHaworth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Spapro
Senior Member
 
Spapro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wetherby
Posts: 1,273
Liked 474 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHaworth View Post
Quick question:

FV timings when summer brewing.

I normally allow 2 weeks in the FV, dry hopping after 5 days.

This brew has gone off like a rocket and looks like it will have stopped fermenting by day 4. Any comments around scaling back the time in the FV, or would that be ill advisde.

Thanks

Martin
I would still leave it for 2 weeks in primary even in warmer temps - the real business of fermentation is normally done in around 3-4 days (once the yeast gets going) so you've probably only shaved a day or so off that with the warmer temps. The remainder of the 2 weeks is to allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

Its worth doing something about controlling your brewing temps - my second hand fridge off ebay fitted with a greenhouse tube heater controlled by an inkbird controller is the best single best investment I've made to improve my brewing. Allows me to set the brewfridge temp to any temp I want and leave it to look after itself. Great for brewing lagers, crash cooling, or just knowing your ale is fermenting at 18°C whether its -2°C or 27°C outside !
__________________


Fermenting:
Oatmeal Stout
(St Austell Yeast), Plum Wine, Blackberry Wine (first wine).

Conditioning: Kolsch
.

Drinking:
Cornish Oatmeal Extra Pale Ale (St Austell Yeast).
Spapro is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First ever brewday Klemay83 Beer Brewdays! 26 18-03-2016 10:25 PM
RIP George Martin Godsdog The Snug 0 09-03-2016 10:19 AM
brewday (kit) Frogbrew Beer Brewdays! 0 05-10-2015 01:41 PM
Martin and James' Brew Sunday with brewdog tazuk General Beer Brewing Discussion 1 14-11-2012 08:49 PM

Newest Threads