nightmare

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
so did my first brew in a while..
mash stuck all most as soon as it started recirculating .
it went down the overflow. so had to turn it all off, wait for it to dribble through ,remove the top gauze and stir, then start again,
this caused the wort to burn on the element and a boil was difficult to reach, only managed a boil on 2500watts, normally boil on 1800.
from start to finish was 8 hours,
working that out on a rest day/over time rate it cost me £160 to make 40 bottle o f bear :doh:
fingures crossed its ok

so did my first brew in a while..
mash stuck all most as soon as it started recirculating .
it went down the overflow. so had to turn it all off, wait for it to dribble through ,remove the top gauze and stir, then start again,
this caused the wort to burn on the element and a boil was difficult to reach, only managed a boil on 2500watts, normally boil on 1800.
from start to finish was 8 hours,
working that out on a rest day/over time rate it cost me �£160 to make 40 bottle o f bear :doh:
fingures crossed its ok

So, OK mate, you took a day off work to indulge a hobby, which is a very good way to spend your leisure time.

You made some mistakes and that meant the day went **** up.

To make an observation:

When you know it is going wrong - stop and sort problem # 1.

With a poor mash, it is going nowhere. You knew that, as well as we did.

Carrying on with a poor result at stage one, is only going to make things worse.

Burning all your mistakes onto the bottom of the boiler was never going to improve things.

It may have taken you 8 hours but you hazard the brewed for some time, you can't run before you walk :)

What did your recipe contain? Stuck mashes I have had did contain a combination of wheat, flaked oats and/or rye. These things create a nice layer of gunk on top of the filter bed where water almost does not pass. First time I had this I did a decoction of my filter bed (I do not brew big batches so I could do this), the second time I just cut up the filter bed at the top until I got everything through. What I have learnt in the meantime is when I need to use such special grains, to make the day before a cereal mash. Why the day before? I like to brew on Friday evening, and be done in about 5 hrs (at most). A cereal mash also takes already an hour or two.

What equipment do you use?

Did't you burn your element before?

sorry just read this,
yes i burned it on the peco boiler,
this time im using an ace boiler,
ive cleaned it off and will try again.
its only the second time ive used it, so see how it goes next time.

So, OK mate, you took a day off work to indulge a hobby, which is a very good way to spend your leisure time.

You made some mistakes and that meant the day went **** up.

To make an observation:

When you know it is going wrong - stop and sort problem # 1.

With a poor mash, it is going nowhere. You knew that, as well as we did.

Carrying on with a poor result at stage one, is only going to make things worse.

Burning all your mistakes onto the bottom of the boiler was never going to improve things.

yes agree with all, just wanted a rant as it turned in to not a good brew day,
your right a hobby is a hobby for a reason,
will try again soon :thumb:

What did your recipe contain? Stuck mashes I have had did contain a combination of wheat, flaked oats and/or rye. These things create a nice layer of gunk on top of the filter bed where water almost does not pass. First time I had this I did a decoction of my filter bed (I do not brew big batches so I could do this), the second time I just cut up the filter bed at the top until I got everything through. What I have learnt in the meantime is when I need to use such special grains, to make the day before a cereal mash. Why the day before? I like to brew on Friday evening, and be done in about 5 hrs (at most). A cereal mash also takes already an hour or two.
it was a roggenbier dunkel? not sure what was in it as it was a kit,
but it was very solid at the bottom during mash.

the recipe included oat husks but at the end, ie 2 mins to go, i assume it was to aid drainage, but it was too late by then ,

Sorry to hear that, easy to make mistakes, I nearly left my filter off on Sunday .
It takes a few brews to get used to any system, it's not like sticking bread it a toaster. You need to get a feel for the system.
Try turning on the pump slowly next time and gradually increase the flow over ten minutes, I think starting full flow was compacting the grain in my GF.

it was a roggenbier dunkel? not sure what was in it as it was a kit,
but it was very solid at the bottom during mash.

Hm, could also be because maybe you drained too fast. That tends to press the filter bed together. And of course, by not using the included husks (a common thread with kits, AG or extract, I seem to see is that the instructions are not always completely clear).

Back