First all grain... Lessons learnt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloz

Reaction score
So yesterday I carried out my first AG with all the equipment I built myself. It seemed to go OK, but I learnt a few lessons.

1. Boil more water than needed.
As my boil kettle is an plastic FV with kettle elements and a hole and valve I drilled, there was quite a bit of dead space at the bottom.

2. Don't carry out a 1hr 15min boil in the kitchen.
I spent most of the night wiping the ceiling and walls. The OH was not very happy with me. At least she has her own way and we are re-decorating the kitchen now :-(

3. I need a better 'false bottom'.
I used a piece of pipe with holes drilled, but the hops stuck to it and i had to keep stirring it to get it flowing... and then it was a trickle and took an hour to transfer.

But all in all I think it went ok. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just hope I enjoy drinking it as much.

I do however have one question for the experts.

I followed a recipe from 'Home brew beer by Greg Hughes' (as recommeded to me on here) for Mexican Cerveza. It said my boil amount was 27 litres and it makes 23 litres. But after the boil I was only left with 20 litres, any ideas why?

So yesterday I carried out my first AG with all the equipment I built myself. It seemed to go OK, but I learnt a few lessons.

As my boil kettle is an plastic FV with kettle elements and a hole and valve I drilled, there was quite a bit of dead space at the bottom.

I spent most of the night wiping the ceiling and walls. The OH was not very happy with me. At least she has her own way and we are re-decorating the kitchen now :-(

I used a piece of pipe with holes drilled, but the hops stuck to it and i had to keep stirring it to get it flowing... and then it was a trickle and took an hour to transfer.

But all in all I think it went ok. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just hope I enjoy drinking it as much.

I followed a recipe from 'Home brew beer by Greg Hughes' (as recommeded to me on here) for Mexican Cerveza. It said my boil amount was 27 litres and it makes 23 litres. But after the boil I was only left with 20 litres, any ideas why?

OK, so I am guessing that you may have lost 2-3 litres as "dead space" - that is quite usual. Also, with a couple of kettle elements in your brew kettle you may expect to lose as much as 4-5 L in boil off. So 7L does not sound even remotely extraordinary.

In lieu of expertise, I suggest that you explore further your ideas with dead space and also of limiting the power on your actual boil. You have not stated what wattage you boiled with, but 2 kW will be enough, I would guess.

Also, as you say, using a bit more liquid gives you more lee-way / options.

This extra sparge run-off might be collected in a pot and boiled on the stove and added later on in the main boil.

If you have an extractor fan in the kitchen, it will finally earn its keep on brew-day. Additionally use all available ventilation - doors, windows in the kitchen. That is, if you are ever allowed back in!

BTW - this sounds like a great first brew-day and with new equipment. Most new brewers would swap it for theirs, for sure. :thumb:

OK, so I am guessing that you may have lost 2-3 litres as "dead space" - that is quite usual. Also, with a couple of kettle elements in your brew kettle you may expect to lose as much as 4-5 L in boil off. So 7L does not sound even remotely extraordinary.

In lieu of expertise, I suggest that you explore further your ideas with dead space and also of limiting the power on your actual boil. You have not stated what wattage you boiled with, but 2 kW will be enough, I would guess.

Also, as you say, using a bit more liquid gives you more lee-way / options.

This extra sparge run-off might be collected in a pot and boiled on the stove and added later on in the main boil.

If you have an extractor fan in the kitchen, it will finally earn its keep on brew-day. Additionally use all available ventilation - doors, windows in the kitchen. That is, if you are ever allowed back in!

BTW - this sounds like a great first brew-day and with new equipment. Most new brewers would swap it for theirs, for sure. :thumb:

This bit is essential. I sit my boiler next to a wide open window, have the back door wedged open and the extractor going.

Thank you.

Considering my first go and a lot of inexperience, it did seem to go ok.

That all makes sense. Maybe I should turn one of the elements off once its upto boil. For the KW... I haven't a clue :)

I think next time I will boil outside. I had it right next to an open door, but seemed to cover the kitchen ceiling. Not fun explaining to OH.

Cheers for the advice... It all helps.

How did your original gravity compare to the recipe's OG? If you were higher, and also had less wort than expected, you could liquor back (or dilute) your wort with water (I use cheap bottled water). I use Brewers Friend dilution calculator for this.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

How did your original gravity compare to the recipe's OG? If you were higher, and also had less wort than expected, you could liquor back (or dilute) your wort with water (I use cheap bottled water). I use Brewers Friend dilution calculator for this.

OG turned out at 1070, so I boiled and cooled water (amount guessed) and I'm now at 1050. Recipes states 1045, so not far off.

OG turned out at 1070, so I boiled and cooled water (amount guessed) and I'm now at 1050. Recipes states 1045, so not far off.

That's very good indeed and means you got pretty good efficiency from your new system, too.

If you have some spare time over the next few days, perhaps you could think about posting some details up in the Equipment section on the forum?

I'm sure there will be a fair bit of interest in the details, as you have clearly got a well thought out set-up.

That's very good indeed and means you got pretty good efficiency from your new system, too.

If you have some spare time over the next few days, perhaps you could think about posting some details up in the Equipment section on the forum?

I'm sure there will be a fair bit of interest in the details, as you have clearly got a well thought out set-up.

I can do, but to be fair I just followed a few videos on youtube. :lol:

I'll take some photos of all the gear I used and post tomorrow.:thumb:

You did the right thing adding water to dilute the wort. Although you think you lost a fair bit during the boil, it's just water. The amount of sugar in the boil remains the same. So you can always dilute.

What you gone and let yourself in for, she will be wanting you to brew in the lounge next, followed by the main bedroom, spare bedrooms, dining room, bathroom, hallway and finally the stairs and landing, only then will she tell you to brew outside, unless of course she doesn't like a shade of the new paint in one of the rooms, then you might get to do a second brew in there.

What you gone and let yourself in for, she will be wanting you to brew in the lounge next, followed by the main bedroom, spare bedrooms, dining room, bathroom, hallway and finally the stairs and landing, only then will she tell you to brew outside, unless of course she doesn't like a shade of the new paint in one of the rooms, then you might get to do a second brew in there.

Haha :lol:

Latest posts

Back