First time brewer from Leeds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lido

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm an absolute beginner but I love real ale. Which surely means I am reasonably well qualified to give this a go?!

I've just setup my first FV (picture attached) with the Festival Razorback IPA. Would really appreciate any help you can give me.

I've placed the FV in my summer house but haven't put any temperature control mechanism in place. The temperature was just under 25C when I added the yeast. I'm a little worried about temperature fluctuation overnight etc. Am I going to stop yeast from working?

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the Hydrometer but I think it had a reading of 1.030. (any guidance on taking a reading with a bobbing up and down hydrometer is appreciated).

I sealed the FV on Sunday night so I was half hoping to see some bubbles in the airlock. Nothing yet although the lid seems to be bulging slightly which may be a good sign!?

Looking forward to learning all about this with you all.

First FV.jpg

Hi Lido, and welcome.
I am also new to brewing (well newish ... had a 30 year gap).
Starting your beer just under 25C should be fine and, although a stable temp of around 22C would be nice, it's ok to fluctuate a bit. Colder wil take longer and hotter will be quicker fermentation ... but beware ... going below about 16C can kill off yeast and above 25C (except in beers like Saison) can produce the wrong type of alcohol. I stand to be corrected by those more experienced.
It can take up to 48 hours to see vigorous fermentation ... other times just an hour or two, but your lid is swelling so that's good ... its fermenting and producing CO2. Once the pressure builds it'll come through the fermentation lock.
As for Hydrometer, your reading seams a bit low for a beer that should produce in excess of 5% ... more like 3% if your reading is accurate ... and i think (based on recent experience) it's not.
So, too late to check starting gravity again now but I'm sure your beer will come out right.
For future reference ... ensure Brew is well mixed before taking sample (this is where I think I went wrong) or most of the wort will still be at the bottom of the vessel and you'll measure a weaker solution at the top.
Once yo have your sample, put the hydrometer in and spin it to remove bubble which can cling to side and give a false reading. Give it a few minutes to settle and spin it again then, once it's settled take the reading.
Hope some of this helps and sorry to be long winded.

Hello and welcome :cheers:

Did you make a yeast starter? It might be a bit slow off the mark if you didn't. I wouldn't like to recommend re-pitching a yeast unless it really looks like nothing's happening, but it's bulging which is a good sign.

As long as it's not in direct sunlight I wouldn't be too worried about temperature fluctuations.

Hydrometers can be tricky, the best way I've seen done is to take a sample of beer in a cylindrical jar and spin it to get the bubbles off and let it settle.

All in all, don't fuss it and it should be fine :cool:

Also, looking at your pic, you have brewed it quite "long". In other words you have made it up to 27l rather than 23l. This will obviously give you more beer but will weaken it overall and may, in some part, account for a lower initial gravity.

as Buzz said you look to have brewed long at 27 litres that's fine as itll give you a session ale(able to guzzle it all night ha) but don't expect the airlock to plop they all don't,the fact that the lid is bulging is a good sign,when you take another reading say in a weeks time look for the same reading two days running and spin the the hydrometer as you take the reading wether its in a hyrometer jar or the bucket but sanatise everything first then package.good luck and welcome.us old brewing sages are available the day through should you need more help,dont hesitate to ask:thumb:

Hi Lido and welcome.
+1 on above comments but at 25 degrees your just outside your working max temps for the yeast provided with this as can be seen with the specs provided.Ideally you should have been aiming for 20 degrees.
The kit in question is designed for 5 gallons which is around 23 litres with a starting gravity of 1.043/44 which would give you 5.7% ABV if it had attenuated to specification of 1.009.
Using the calculator on Brewers friend with your wort volume being 27 has ended up with OG og 1.037 and if it does attenuate will only give you 3.68% ABV.

Specifications:-
Kit weight :-3.6kg
Makes:- 40 pints / 5 gallons
ABV Approx:- 5.7%
Finishing Gravity Approx:- 1.009
Bitterness (EBU range 50-55)
Fermentation time:-7 days approx
Conditioning time:-4 weeks
Fermentables required:- None Required
Priming Sugar: Included

Ignore the fermentation time and let go for two weeks and let the yeast finish up.After that you can either transfer to a secondary to help clear your beer or bottle and condition in the bottle
Seeing the airlock you have attached there is none issues with these if you snap the lid on as it has a tendancy to seal completely therefore preventing the C02 from escaping and causing your lid to expand with the build up of gas.Just lift the cap on the airlock and let it rest on the cylinder but making sure the base is still submersed in your liquid allowing the gas to escape and preventing entry from external nasties,bugs etc.

Its definitely fermenting so patience is your best friend from now on in.:thumb:

Hey up m8,
Welcome.
Your in good hands pal.
Enjoy the journey and it get easier with a few brew days under the belt.
Never be scared of obvious questions or stupid questions...I'm the king of asking stupid questions..but if you don't know the answer it isn't stupid lol
Your well on the way..
Great skills
Bri

Thanks for all your help everyone! Great guidance from Buzz669 to get me started!

Big news today - we have a bubbling airlock! Excited!! (see pic)

Kharon - I did not make a yeast starter, just poured the contents of the provided packet in and gave it a good stir. I tried to get all the yeast mixed into the liquid rather than leave it on the foam on top, not sure if that was a great idea?

It’s not in direct sunlight. I’ve attached a picture of the location. I am a bit worried that the overnight temperature may drop below 16C. Is that a problem? Daytime I’m pretty sure the temperature is fine.

Godsdog - I understand what you’re saying about brewing it “long”. I’m a bit confused as the instructions told me to boil 3L of water, then add the 2 packets of mixture, then add another 23L of cold water. Hence the mixture up at 27. Might have misunderstood but I don’t mind a weaker session ale for my first attempt!

Thanks for the advice on the airlock cap Gerryjo. I’ve removed the cap (liquid splurged out) and now seated it on top. If the water level in the airlock is a little low, is it ok to top this up?

I will now leave for the full 2 weeks as recommended by a couple of you. Which means I’ll be syphoning into the keg on 24/25 June. I’m kegging rather than bottling.

Simple question - how do I take a sample for hydrometer readings?

Next question - what happens if I leave it in the FV for longer? 3,4,5 weeks?

Brewhouse.jpg

Airlock.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the airlock cap Gerryjo. I’ve removed the cap (liquid splurged out) and now seated it on top. If the water level in the airlock is a little low, is it ok to top this up?

Yes it's ok to top up but just ensure the outer cap is below the water level.Top up using boiled water that has been cooled or Vodka.
I take you are using your phone for photo's,if rotate it sideways for panoramic view and this will sort the rotation issue as in above post.

Thanks I've topped up the airlock and sorted my pictures out! Any help with my other questions is much appreciated! :-?

Sounds like all is now going well.
In answer to a couple of your questions ....
Usually recipe says "add 3 liters boiling water, stir until dissolved and top up to 23litres" or words to that effect but no probs.
Taking a specimen for checking SG ... do you have a tube which the hydrometer came in? It's the sample vessel. Sterilize it and either dip it in or siphon brew into it (through sterilised tubing), about 4/5 the way up the tube. Otherwise, get a container long enough to take the hydrometer and do as above.
Leaving beer longer in FV ... no real problem as long as it remains sealed ... I've buggered off on holiday and left mine on many an occasion.

Thanks I've topped up the airlock and sorted my pictures out! Any help with my other questions is much appreciated! :-?
If you have a turkey baster or wine thief simply sterilise/sanitise then take a sample.If not sterilise a jug or cup and remove sample but do not return to fermenter in case you may cause infection to your beer.

If you have a second fermenter just transferring this and no issues or even your keg.You could leave in the primary but run the risk of off flavours from the yeast cake but I have done this in the past.Its down to yourself.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Kharon - I did not make a yeast starter, just poured the contents of the provided packet in and gave it a good stir. I tried to get all the yeast mixed into the liquid rather than leave it on the foam on top, not sure if that was a great idea?

It’s not in direct sunlight. I’ve attached a picture of the location. I am a bit worried that the overnight temperature may drop below 16C. Is that a problem? Daytime I’m pretty sure the temperature is fine.

The main reason to make a starter is to get the yeast "hitting the ground running" meaning there will be more yeast growing fast. If there are any infections or the like, they'll be up against a yeast that's already breeding like crazy so they won't get so much opportunity to spoil the beer. I've made quite a few batches without a starter with no signs of infection so it's no biggie, just a "best practice" if you remember to do it in time.

I've always kept my beer in the cellar where it probably does drop below 16 in colder months.. Never had an issue, think the occasional chill might help with clearing the beer.

Definitely right to stir it in, gives it a better chance of mingling.

I will now leave for the full 2 weeks as recommended by a couple of you. Which means I’ll be syphoning into the keg on 24/25 June. I’m kegging rather than bottling.

When you siphon the beer off, put some in a tall thin glass, or a 100ml measuring cylinder like this:
MEA100AGL.jpg

Reduces chance of infection and wastes the least beer.

4 weeks is the "accepted" maximum from what I've heard. A plastic vessel slowly lets oxygen which isn't good. Also some of the yeast cells will start breaking apart releasing their guts into the beer which won't taste good. In my opinion 3-4 weeks gives the yeast at the bottom more time to clean the beer up and mature.

I only do bottling so some of this might be different for kegging.

I just looked up your instructions and it says "Top up to 23L" meaning you'd add 20L to make it up to 23. It'll be a bit watered down but :drink: still beer

All in all it sounds like you're doing fine.

I have brewed this kit many times, you have chosen well for your first brew. The best results I have had from this kit for my tastes anyway: Leave to ferment for 16 days then add the dry hops (not after 5 days as the instructions suggest) and leave for 5-6 days. By this time the yeast will have finished clearing up and the beer will be fairly clear by the time you rack. Test the gravity for two days in a row to make sure that the reading is the same before racking and adding the priming sugar. You have as other folks mentioned brewed long to 27 litres, I usually brew mine short to 21 litres, this seems to improve the body, but don't worry it'll still be a nice session beer. :thumb:

Trouble!

Just checked in on my FV today and the cap has "blown off" the airlock. No more bubbling happening. What has happened? We're on day 6 of fermentation. Attached some pictures. I've now re-seated the cap but a bit worried it might be contaminated now the cap has been off, or has the yeast got too warm in the summer house maybe? Help!

Cap come off.jpeg

lid blown off.jpeg

Cap re-seated.jpeg

Looks like it's had a very vigorous fermentation. May have got a bit warm and caused the yeast to be highly active.
Don't think it will be too much of a problem as the CO2 in the FV should keep any nasty stuff out.
As long as you've reseated the fermentation lock and taken a look at the temperature to see if it's too high you should be fine. Just let it ferment out, but maybe keep an eye on it daily.
Give it a day or two and check the gravity then carry on as normal.

If the FV has a tap fitted, easy. If not, you could use a Wilko turkey baster or just sterilise a mug or something to put the sample in the hydrometer.

Whichever way you do it, make sure all is sterile and do not return the sample to the brew.

After 3 weeks - fine.
After 4 weeks - probably OK
After 5 weeks - might well be alright, but at the height of summer, why risk it?

You know there is no rocket scientist amongst us although I maybe wrong but we are brewing beer to the best of our capabilities so do what you do best and trust your instincts.At the end of the day it's your reward and that's what matters.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back