Brewing in warm weather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I plan to start a brew this Saturday, an extract lager utilising Crossmyloof Kolsch yeast. With warm weather forecast I am concerned that I may end up with off-flavours. The temperature in my brew-garage was 20C at 7AM and 22C yesterday afternoon. I don't have a brew fridge (yet!) or a water bath but I do have a big fan.
I'm not sure what the recommended temperature range of the Kolsch yeast is.
The FV will stay in the garage for 2 weeks.
Will I be pushing my luck at these ambient temps ?

Personally, (and pre-fridge acquisition) I tried to brew according to the ambient temperature.

In your case, I would give the Lager a miss and go for a cheap and cheerful Mexican Cerveza from Wilco. It's very forgiving.

I did one about eight weeks ago in my mate's cellar in France and it worked a treat. I used a 950 gram tin of Golden Syrup instead of brewing sugar (to keep it to a low ABV and a rapid fermentation), transferred it to a King Keg after two weeks with 85g of brewing sugar, let it carbonate and condition for three weeks and started drinking it.

It was a bit cloudy to begin with (not surprising because I moved the keg nearly 1,000km in the van!) but it tasted an absolute treat when the weather got hotter. :thumb:

The homebrew company sell the 514. I bought a few out of date for 65p
Myqul said the mangrove may have discontinued. And I think he could be right, I've just checked homebrew shop who were the only company I knew that did it and found diddly squat.
Since ur unlikely to get a pack this weekend I'd do an ale and go with Clint's idea.
After all, you can't just not brew.

If you can, have a go with a Belgian yeast or a wheat beer yeast. They can cope with much warmer temperatures and still produce beer with desireable character.

Obviously desireable depends on whether or not you like Belgian beer.

Here are some dried yeasts that perform well when it's warm;

Mangrove Jack's M20 - 30°C max
Mangrove Jack's M41 - 28°C max
Mangrove Jack's M29 - 32°C max

Hope this helps!

The homebrew company sell the 514. I bought a few out of date for 65p
Myqul said the mangrove may have discontinued. And I think he could be right, I've just checked homebrew shop who were the only company I knew that did it and found diddly squat.
Since ur unlikely to get a pack this weekend I'd do an ale and go with Clint's idea.
After all, you can't just not brew.

GEB still sell the workhorse

If you got a brew garage, you're lucky. Get a fridge and an inkbird with a greenhouse heater. If you've got the space you can easily make a brew fridge for £60 tops

He's right you know! Mine has only decided to kick the fridge into action today as the temp has pretty much stayed at 19 the past week or so. Next brew will be a test...a pseudo lager fermented at 14....only thing I'm wondering is...my tap water must be over 14 by now so that means the world chiller will only get it to the incoming temp. So I'll have you pitch at tap temp and let the fridge drop it. Will this make a difference?

He's right you know! Mine has only decided to kick the fridge into action today as the temp has pretty much stayed at 19 the past week or so. Next brew will be a test...a pseudo lager fermented at 14....only thing I'm wondering is...my tap water must be over 14 by now so that means the world chiller will only get it to the incoming temp. So I'll have you pitch at tap temp and let the fridge drop it. Will this make a difference?

Could you let the fridge chill it overnight then pitch the next day?

I have been watching my brew fridge being controlled by the inkbird....essential viewing!

Agreed! Especially in this weather! :thumb:

The temperature in my garage was sat at 27 degrees about an hour ago when I checked my own Inkbird.

I don't have a brew on at the moment, so I am using the Brewing Fridge to chill down 2.5kg of Salmon Cut Beef that is marinating in a heavy brine at 6 degrees. In another week or so it will become "Salt Beef".

Back in the 1960's Salt Beef was regularly served up at sea and I've always regarded it as a real delicacy. It's impossible to buy locally so I make my own and in this weather "Thank-you Inkbird!" :thumb:

I've never bothered with temp control, except when it's too cold. Raising the temp to somewhere about right is easy. But this recent heatwave has coincided with our fridge- freezer going on the blink. It's always been a bit dodgy but the recent extremes has it unable to get lower than 8 or or 9 degrees! The missus has ordered a new one so instead of chucking the old one I've decided to use it for brewing. Advice please: How does one adapt the freezer section for brewing temps as it is otherwise preset? What's an inkbird and how does it work? Is there a thread where this is covered in depth? Ta!

Back