off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Set a coopers bootmaker pale ale off about 10 days ok....

had a look and a tester today......bit antiseptic sort of flavour. Not nice.

Think the hot weather has goosed it?

It's been on a shady counter in the kitchen.

Municipal water isnt constant. The levels of chemicals in council pop often changes. It could be, previously your water was just below the levels of chlorine necessary to cause a TCP taste in you beer. But now the levels have gone up a notch so as to make a difference

I agree with both the replies above.

Chlorophenols never go away and although the beer is quite drinkable, in the sense that it is cheap, fairly harmless and mind altering, it is never "nice beer".

The by products of fermentation can be cleared up to an extent by the yeast following a period of time. Do they ever really go away? No.

So, if you are restricted on space, then this weekend is a good "brewing window" and you might well save yourself some heartache by starting again. I know it may sound painful, but having gone down the road myself, you may wish to seriously consider re-using your space - bottles and storage room.

Apologies for delivering bad news.

Don't worry, chaps. I'm relatively resigned.

I'm using this as mitigating information for a brewfridge in the mancave....

and (longer term) an all in one or BIAB setup

:thumb:

The annoying thing is this was my last brew before my jollies.

Was going to bottle and have ready for my return.

Best laid plans. :mrgreen:

Don't worry, chaps. I'm relatively resigned.

I'm using this as mitigating information for a brewfridge in the mancave....and (longer term) an all in one or BIAB setup

:thumb:

Good on you, mate, for taking this as a learning experience.

Brew fridge is not something I could squeeze in myself, right now, but is probably the best long term bet for space vs outcomes.

I own a GF, happy with it, but would seriously advise someone with finances to balance to look at the "copy-cat" alternatives. They may be slightly more of a faff, but perhaps no big deal. Learning the processes in detail from actual experience of an AG system of brewing is the way to make great beer.

BIAB is a good approach too, don't get me wrong, but it does involve slightly more physical effort and involvement on brewday.

First ever beer kit I did I decided to do on teh hottest day in July a few years back.. it just fermented at 25 26 degrees.. had that funny taste you describe.. never went away either.. I wondered whether it was the high temp and the fact I kept messing around with it and doing rookie mistakes..

Chalk it up to expeirence and if you can drink it anyway..

if you cannot get the fridge the brew cool bag is a great alternative

I put a brew on last weekend and i'm afraid the same fate awaits me as the temp in my man cave got up to 25C.
I'ts a strange thing when you look at a bad weather forecast and smile about it but i'm gonna be brewing a couple this weekend, making hey while the sun shines so to speak

I kept my FV in a water bath in the garage throughout the recent heatwave. Garage hit 28-29*C but the water bath never went above 22*Cish, helped by me changing a litre of 'bath water' with a litre of chilled water from the fridge twice a day.
I would not have put a brew on if I had known what the weather was going to do. Trouble is the Met Office only predicted one really hot day for my area at 27*C which I thought was worth the risk, but the reality were several days at or above that with Wed peaking at 34*C.
So brew fridge and Saison yeast aside, what do you do in our unpredictable summer months, not brew in June July and August? Answers on a postcard to.....

Anti-septic/TCP flavour is usually associated with yeast creating chlorophenols from having too high chlorine in your water. Did you use a campden tablet?

When adding a campden , how many tablets per gallon do you add and when ?

E.g. - add to water pre boil the night before including sparge water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When adding a campden , how many tablets per gallon do you add and when ?

E.g. - add to water pre boil the night before including sparge water ?

I chuck a bit of sod.met ( tip of a teaspoon's worth ) into the total mash liquor before anything else. The effect is pretty much instant by all accounts.

I chuck a bit of sod.met ( tip of a teaspoon's worth ) into the total mash liquor before anything else. The effect is pretty much instant by all accounts.

Cheers - so not much needed at all. I'm going to do #4 AG on Monday so will try this as my last one has a hint of TCP in it, although I'm still going to bottle up and see what happens.

Cheers - so not much needed at all. I'm going to do #4 AG on Monday so will try this as my last one has a hint of TCP in it, although I'm still going to bottle up and see what happens.

I should have said "total liquor", not just for the mash. Sorry!

Me too but I'm thinking about finishing with her cos she's putting on weight. Anyways, don't the water companies chuck extra chlorine an' stuff in the water during warm weather?

I think it is chlorine in swimming pools and fluorine in drinking water. I do not know whether more sanitising chemicals are added during the summer, but will make some enquires.

Please feel free to remind me on this one, if I do not report back in the next few days. I think it is a very interesting question and I should be able to find an informed response.

I put a brew on last weekend and i'm afraid the same fate awaits me as the temp in my man cave got up to 25C.
I'ts a strange thing when you look at a bad weather forecast and smile about it but i'm gonna be brewing a couple this weekend, making hey while the sun shines so to speak

I've had brews at that sort of temperature before and they've been fine. Any more though and you get these slightly unpleasant fruity flavours. I had a mild ale once that got way too hot, tasted quite nice but halfway down a pint you started getting these funny fruit flavours. Not nice. Still drunk it though.

Back