Help with timings please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
Following on from my recent experiments it wont be long until my juice wines and raspberryade have finished fermenting. Problem is I dont know what to do now properly! I have secondary's for racking, I have stabiliser, when should I do these? Is giving the demijohns a good shake after racking ok for degassing?
Suppose the question is "What would you do?"

Rack onto a crushed campden tablet, add stabiliser cover the neck and shake for a couple of seconds then release the CO2, carry on until you do not hear a hiss when you take your hand off now add finings following the instruction.

Let us know how you get on.

Beginning to think this degassing is like sending the apprentice for a long weight! Arms are hanging off haha

if the wine hit the ambient temps we have had the last week or so after most of its fermentation had completed then you probably dont have much co2 dissolved in the wine at all..
come winter and when everything sits well below 20C you may find differently..

Done now and finings in, how long before trying?
F.G was .990 on both and they smelt very alcoholic, does this mellow when clearing?
Also read something about "back sweetening" if dry, how much sucralose sweetener would be an average to add and when?
Ta

Let us know how you get on.[/QUOTE]

Just drinking first bottle, added 1 tbsp of sugar free Vimto to bottle to sweeten as was quite dry. Mrs had a shop bought Rose chilling so poured both at same time, blind taste test was a clear winner for the homebrew.....result. Cheers Chippy

Just an update, Rose is a roaring success and will definitely be done again, the raspberryade is now bottled after waiting an age for the OG to come down but now if the hydrometer is to believed it is circa 10% ABV! The black cherry turbo cider was bottled using lowicz raspberry to prime in the hopes it sweetens / gives a mixed berry flavour again if the hydrometer is to be believed then around 6.5% after bottle conditioning. The apple, pomegranate, monstrosity was tipped as it looked like a morning sample and smelt similar too!

Latest posts

Back