No pressure wit secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forums so hello from me.

I've had a search around but couldn't find an answer to the issue I'm having. Having just started brewing again (a kit) I'm not sure if some equipment is a bit old and needs replacing.

The issue I have is that there is no pressure building in the secondary fermentation barrel. I have tried injecting CO2 and this builds pressure but is lost again in a day or so. This clearly suggests a leak in the system but how would I find out where it is?

I have something similar to this
https://brewers-droop.com/collections/vessels/products/king-keg-top-tap-with-8g-pin-valve-cap

The seals seem all OK on the cap but is there a way to test them?

I suspect the tap is leaky but again don't know how to test it.

All of the kit was stored well while I wasn't brewing but it was years between brews.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. :smile:

EDIT:
This is the barrel
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Brewmaster_5_gallon_Barrel.html

The seals seem all OK on the cap but is there a way to test them?

Gas it up really well, then put your ear by the valves, tap and lid and see if you can hear a leak. If not, make up some washing up liquid solution with lots of suds and put the suds around all those bits - even a tiny leak should produce small bubbles.

I have a Rotokeg and it's a right PITA. So many leaks over the years, although I found them all. Most common were the lid being too tight or not tight enough, the pressure release valve leaking, the S30 valve on top coming slightly loose.

You say it was years between brews: the seals degrade over time (typically 2 years), so you may also need a whole new set of seals.

Thanks so much for the quick reply and all the info. I'll get on with the testing this morning :)
There's a brew shop down the road from me so should have enough time to test and grab any supplies if I find a leak.
I have a Rotokeg and it's a right PITA
I'm thinking about getting a second barrel so I can have one conditioning and the other being drunk. Would you recommend the King Keg over the Rotokeg? Those are the only options available to me locally.

I'm just prepping my old Youngs budget keg for another brew. 6 years old and still going strong. Bottom tap and no pressure release valve so a lot less to go wrong / leak. I'd recommend it over any of the expensive barrels, think I got it from Wilko.

If you're off to the local brew shop, get a new set of seals for your Rotokeg - most brewshops stock them.

Thanks all.

Great news, I did the pressure test and found that the cap seal was leaking. I gave it another turn and was surprised how much it tightened (nearly a quarter turn) when I was sure I'd given it quite some effort the first time. After that I didn't hear any more gas and the soapy water didn't bubble so fingers crossed that has fixed it.

Good to know the basic barrels are decent now. The one I had when I first started years ago was terrible so I guess they've improved somewhat since then. Didn't really fancy dropping another £50 on a second barrel if I could help it. Though I do like the idea of drawing from the top of the barrel of some reason. Does it make much difference?

Back