Which Dry Wheat Beer Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I am planning to make a wheat beer next, have the grain kit already just need to choose a dry yeast?
I have narrowed it down to the following -

Danstar Munich Wheat Beer
Fermentis Safbrew WB-06
Mauribrew Weiss

Has anybody had success with any of the above or another dry yeast?

I am planning to make a wheat beer next, have the grain kit already just need to choose a dry yeast?
I have narrowed it down to the following -

Danstar Munich Wheat Beer
Fermentis Safbrew WB-06
Mauribrew Weiss

Has anybody had success with any of the above or another dry yeast?

used the WB-06 and MJ's bavarian wheat and MJ's belgian wit.

The MJ's have the edge over the Wb-06 IMO and the Belgian wit is good if you want a Hoegaarden style beer. I use MJ's Bavarian Wheat as my goto WB yeast.

used the WB-06 and MJ's bavarian wheat and MJ's belgian wit.

The MJ's have the edge over the Wb-06 IMO and the Belgian wit is good if you want a Hoegaarden style beer. I use MJ's Bavarian Wheat as my goto WB yeast.

For no logical reason, I've always steered away from MJ yeasts.
I should take another look at them as they have a good selection of dry.

I am very satisfied with MJ yeasts. I used the M20 for a weizen last year, and M21 for a wit this year, and they turned out both fine beers for the summer months. In fact, except for S-33 and BE-256, I use exclusively Mangrove Jack's. I only brew for two years, and my first purchase included MJ. The reason for choosing them was the packaging. Being a completely newby, I found that MJ just put more time in creating a nice package for selling their yeast. I haven't regretted it. Pity that they now went for a more uniform packaging. However, compared to the rest they still look better. Yes, I know that it is the contents which count. But in my view, hobby brewing and craft beer is always about creativity, and for me that shows in MJ's packaging.

Oh, one thing about the M20 weizen yeast: you get a good head, but it drops down fast, like there is something greasy in the beer. I heard this also from other brewers who used it.

I've just used the CML krystalweisen in a part mash greg hughes American wheat. I've not tried it yet as it's only been bottled 3 weeks but it's absolutely crystal clear...

Used MJ 84 'Bohemian' on two different style brews back in the winter. Can't fault it:thumb:

The MJ yeasts I've used have been really good. The only possible reason I could think of not to at least consider them is because CML yeasts are so cheap

Anyone know how the CML wheat yeast and MJ are compared to say a liquid variety..?

Got an Weizen conditioning now which was liquid and it is lovely as its my first of this type I have no comparison.. I am happy to be wrong but had the impression this type benefited the liquid variety but if the dry strains are good too then great..!!

Another one for MJ yeasts though been impressed with them so far

Anyone know how the CML wheat yeast and MJ are compared to say a liquid variety..?

Got an Weizen conditioning now which was liquid and it is lovely as its my first of this type I have no comparison.. I am happy to be wrong but had the impression this type benefited the liquid variety but if the dry strains are good too then great..!!

Another one for MJ yeasts though been impressed with them so far

I think I saw a chart floating around the web (I might have even posted it here on the forum) comparing MJ yeast with a possible liquid alternative. I'll see if I can find it.

I used WB-06 in a Sorachi Ace Weissbier and it worked quite well, little bit on the clove side though.

WY3068 is the king of Weissbier yeast though. It's an absolute monster and kicks out loads of banana (yum) if you ferment it at 24c

Latest posts

Back