Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > Andrew's brew days

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Ajhutch

Liked 370 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Default Andrew's brew days

I thought now I have reached double figures for all grain batches it was time to make my own thread. I do quite a bit of splitting batches and extra experiments so this is a good way to record that kind of thing.

Today's brew was a popular one, a New England IPA.

The What

23 litre batch

5kg Maris Otter
0.5kg malted oats
0.5kg flaked wheat
0.25kg carapils
0.25kg caramunich I

Mash for 60 minutes at 68C

60 minute boil

5g Summit and 10g each of Equinox, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra at 5 mins
5g Summit and 15g each of Equinox, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra at 0 mins

Water
Bicarbonate 25ppm
Calcium 120ppm
Chloride 120ppm
Sulphate 30ppm

Yeast - Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, made into 2 litre starter

The How

I use a 30 litre kettle for brew in a bag. Normally I heat sparge water separately and dunk sparge but I'm temporarily without that kit so today I ran off my first runnings and pulled out the grain bag and had to hear the sparge water, adding time to the brew day. I was also doing various kid stuff so ended up mashing and sparging early afternoon then leaving it all in the kettle and boiling later. Not an energy efficient brew day, but did fit in with my non-brewing day and I was never run off my feet.

It went ok, I need to pay close attention to the temperatures in m mash, as the bottom near the element is significantly warmer than the top where the probe thermometer is. The thermometers agree in boiling water so
Im confident both are right as it were. I just kept stirring my mash fairly frequently.

I missed my gravity target by 4 points, 1.060 instead of 1.064 but that's not too big a deal, it'll be a pretty strong beer anyway.

I no chill so I also made my starter today and will pitch tomorrow.

Dry hops will be the same suite of Equinox, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra.

Sample jar tasted good, lots of hop flavour without too much bitterness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale
People Like This 
Old 26-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Ajhutch

First dry hops in. 25g each of Equinox, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra. After about 30 hours I think I've actually missed high krausen, the yeast is a monster!

- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Ajhutch

Bottled tonight. I hate bottling. It's done now though, and was my cleanest bottling day to date, helped by a great yeast that compacted nicely. I've harvested ready for reuse. It looks hazy as expected, I hope it doesn't go brown, it's looking less bright yellow than some of my samples. Trial jar tastes good, there's only supporting bitterness and tons of fruit.

- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 06-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
Ajhutch

Brewing a Belgian dubbel today. Got the grains and water ready last night, and then after a rough night with our baby daughter ended up getting up at 6 and got the mash on before getting our toddler up at 7.

The grain bill is a split of Belgian pilsner and pale ale malt with a dash of Caramunich, Aromatic and Carabelge malts. Homemade Candi sugar (I did rocks not syrup so I could freeze it) to be added later.

Controlling my BIAB mash using an inkbird today as I'm going to be buzzing around so will see how that goes. 90 mins of mash at 65C now.

- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale
Dads_Ale Likes This 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Clearing before bottling, try a cold crash at 0 degrees for 24 hours, and colour is made up in the boil not in the bottling.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Ajhutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Clearing before bottling, try a cold crash at 0 degrees for 24 hours, and colour is made up in the boil not in the bottling.

I think you're answering my old post, which was about a beer that was deliberately hazy. My concerns around colour related to the delicacy of the beer and possible oxidation but fortunately it turned out well!

- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
BeerCat

Liked 685 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
Brewing a Belgian dubbel today. Got the grains and water ready last night, and then after a rough night with our baby daughter ended up getting up at 6 and got the mash on before getting our toddler up at 7.

The grain bill is a split of Belgian pilsner and pale ale malt with a dash of Caramunich, Aromatic and Carabelge malts. Homemade Candi sugar (I did rocks not syrup so I could freeze it) to be added later.

Controlling my BIAB mash using an inkbird today as I'm going to be buzzing around so will see how that goes. 90 mins of mash at 65C now.

How did the beer turn out? When i made candi sugar it started to melt when i took it out of the freezer but worked well enough.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Ajhutch

Default Andrew's brew days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
How did the beer turn out? Whn i made candi sugar it started to melt when i took it out of the freezer but worked well enough.

Looking alright, I did a 90 minute boil as well to drive a bit more colour. I also overshot the mash temperature so used some extra water so the extra boil will help equalise things. I'll no chill this and pitch a cultured up Chimay yeast tomorrow. Broke my hydrometer so will have to pop to Wilko for a new one before I can check gravity, pre-boil was right on though so should be fine. I'll have 15 litres at 1.063 all being well.

- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Ajhutch

Belgian Dubbel

15 litre batch

1.5kg Belgian Pale Malt
1.5kg Belgian Pilsner Malt
200g Aromatic Malt
200g Carabelge Malt
200g Caramunich I
500g Candi syrup (homemade, cooked to amber)

90 minute mash at 65C

90 minute boil

20g Challenger @60 mins
25g EKG @5 mins

OG 1.063
17 IBU

Pitched a starter of cultured up dregs from two bottles of Chimay Blue. If the beer tastes anything like the starter wort it's going to be good. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
sven945

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
If the beer tastes anything like the starter wort it's going to be good. Fingers crossed.
I'll never get how people can get anything from the starter wort, other than horribly sweet bitterness! (Each to their own of course). I always have a tiny sip when I've done the initial gravity reading, more as a ritual thing than anything (as of course I drink samples during and post fermentation).

Your recipes are looking good. I did a Belgian dubbel that turned out okay. Home made candi sugar/syrup is the way forward!