Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > First AG Brew Day!

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
SkyBlue

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default First AG Brew Day!

First ever AG Brew day using a Mibrewery by Beertorrent all in one system. Easy to set up, seems to be a good quality build (admittedly I have nothing to compare it against) and very easy to programme.

Made an IPA with an OG of 1074, FG should be in the region of 1010 so hopefully not a bad start!!

Wort looked clear and smelled delicious!! Chilled down in 20 minutes with the immersion chiller. Added dried yeast as I’m unsure how to rehydrate it so hope that should still work.

Cleaning took me a while so keen to learn any tips on how to do it quicker.

Overall, a very good day and I just hope when the wife gets home from a weekend away she will like the new smell in the house!!!

We now await the results....both of the beer and the wife’s return!!

Cheers

Andy
IainM Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
Ajhutch

Liked 379 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Congrats on your first AG brewday!

When I brewed on Thursday my wife's exact words were 'the house really smells'. She didn't appreciate the response 'you're welcome'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Imperial Stout
- Brown Ale

Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Dads_Ale
Crafty Brewer

Liked 702 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Well done on your first AG brew day . I saw the Beer Torrent demonstrated at the Home Brew festival and it looked a nice bit of kit.

Sprinkling the dried yeast on the top is fine, just wait about 30 mins before stirring to stop is going into lumps.

Cleaning always seems to take forever but it very much worth the time spent. After cleaning I make sure it is all fully dry (including inside taps etc) before packing away.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Clint

Liked 1123 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Congrats! Ah yes the smell...reminds me when I was a kid going into town and the whole town smelled like breweries....that's when wrexham had a couple of breweries still operating...

Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
IainM

Liked 803 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Nice one! No going back now.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1846 Times on 1306 Posts
Likes Given: 3982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBlue View Post

Cleaning took me a while so keen to learn any tips on how to do it quicker.

............ I just hope when the wife gets home from a weekend away she will like the new smell in the house!!!

How to speed up the cleaning? Easy! Brew when your wife is at home and let her do it.

Will she like the new smell? I very much doubt it but, whatever you do, DO NOT spray the house to try and remove it. All you will do is raise suspicions that someone with an overpowering scent has been visiting whilst she was away!

BTW, you had better start planning your next brew because the sooner you reach Critical Mass the better.

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
AG Vienna Lager with Hallertau (12/11/17)
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter (12/11/17)
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup (12/11/17)
AG Low ABV Pale Ale (19/11/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Fermenting
Golden Pumpkin Ale
AG Oatmeal Stout

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.