quick yeast answer please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Brewing today....a cerveza style pseudo lager partial mash. I plan to ferment at 14°c and not use a lager yeast. ...advice (thanks M) is to use gervin/notty yeast,I have a Wilko gervin in the fridge....would it be worth pitching 2 packets at 14°c? I also have SO4 which I've read doesn't like low temps and produces aldehyde flavours or I've got CML English ale...

Cheers

Clint

Hello all
Brewing today....a cerveza style pseudo lager partial mash. I plan to ferment at 14°c and not use a lager yeast. ...advice (thanks M) is to use gervin/notty yeast,I have a Wilko gervin in the fridge....would it be worth pitching 2 packets at 14°c? I also have SO4 which I've read doesn't like low temps and produces aldehyde flavours or I've got CML English ale...

Cheers

Clint

Yup 2 packs of wilko ale which is the same as notty/gervin,(it says gervin on the pack btw) if your going to ferment at 14C

S04/CML Real al wouldnt be anywhere near clean enough for a pseudo lager

Right,all done. Wort chilled to 20°c...incoming mains water 19°c . Do I pitch at 20 or chill to 14 in the brew fridge before pitching?

Cheers

Clint
Og 1052...6 points over target but calculates at around 73%bhe.

Last edited:
Last few beers I have done with cml pale finished at 1008 and they used crystal. Might be worth a go withought and mashed low. CML Kolsch yeast is excellent and will ferment low. Have to say though WLP830 is awesome and makes a very clean beer. Worth trying the brulosophy method if you have not already.

...right,but should I wait for 14°c before pitching? I'm going with 2 pkts of gervin. Both my CML wheat and steam Yeasts have made crystal clear beer...not tasted it yet though!

Cheers

Clint

Thanks..it's in the brew fridge now,temp dropping steadily. So pitch at 14...then rise to ??
Just googled the brulosophy lager method regarding the temp control....I shall try!

Last edited:
...somethings happening...a bubble every 8 seconds! The wort has dropped very clear. .
....22:00.....a glug a second...picked up a bit with a small krausen visible through the side of the fv. ..

Last edited:
Back