Washing yeast after dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
For various reasons I need to dry hop in my primary fermenter. But I also want to re-use the yeast (1st time at this).

I planned on adding the hop pellets loose.

Can I still wash the yeast? Would any hop material get discarded along with the trub in the washing process?

I've been thinking about this a bit recently and I've come up with using a hop tea instead of dry hopping which I'm giving ago on my latest brew. Or racking into a secondary to dry hop keeping the yeast hop free.

Normally I would rack to secondary, but this is a small batch and my other FVs are 28ltrs+. I'd be worried that racking 9ltrs into a big FV would just be asking for oxidation

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Normally I would rack to secondary, but this is a small batch and my other FVs are 28ltrs+. I'd be worried that racking 9ltrs into a big FV would just be asking for oxidation

You'll still have a blanket of CO2 covering your beer in the larger fermenter just transfer as you normally would.

Gerry

You'll still have a blanket of CO2 covering your beer in the larger fermenter just transfer as you normally would.

Gerry
Even if I transfer after fermentation has stopped?

I loose dry hop pellets and have recently washed two different yeasts (Nottingham and an SC Vermont Strain).
In both instances washes well and no hop debries in the mason jars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I use a nylon hop bag for dry hopping. Keeps the majority of the debris out.

Latest posts

Back