Found this

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I've got some ale conditioning right now, with a hefty wedge of flaked barley in it. Give it a week or two and I'll post a pic to show off the magnificent head and to dispel the myth that it causes haze ( unless you really go bonkers with it).

I was watching this youtube vid yesterday eve as I'm going to make my first cream ale (although using flaked maize from H&B) next week. They discuss adding flaked barley to a cream ale instead of flaked maize and the effect barley has on the beer

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7k6CwYhtD4[/ame]

Why is the ale in the video as cloudy as hell? Amateurs! I guarantee mine, with 400g flaked barley will be as clear as a vacuum.

Why is the ale in the video as cloudy as hell? Amateurs! I guarantee mine, with 400g flaked barley will be as clear as a vacuum.

Unlikely to be as clear as a vacuum, given that a vacuum would be completely empty space.

I would support the idea that a beer with 400g of flaked barley could run fairly clear at the end. And taste pretty good, too.

Said it was only recently kegged and he normally runs the first bit off, so still had a bit of yeast in suspension.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Chill haze lol! Not waiting until fully ready is a cop out. Couldn't the video have waited a week so it wouldn't have looked a mess? I'm not buying it.

Does it really matter.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Yes, to me at least. It's sloppy. Like trying to sell a car with a scratch and telling the prospective buyer it'll get fixed later. Despite the excuses, this video promotes the idea that flaked barley causes haze when I'm trying to say otherwise. I'll post a pic when mine is good and ready, and not before.

There y'go - a recent pale ale made with lots of flaked barley. Been in the glass about 15 mins. Note the tight head and clarity, despite the condensation on the glass (yes it was heavily chilled) you can clearly see the small print on the apple juice cartons behind. That's the way to do it. Flaked barley causes haze lol!

20170721_220341.jpg

There y'go - a recent pale ale made with lots of flaked barley. Been in the glass about 15 mins. Note the tight head and clarity, despite the condensation on the glass (yes it was heavily chilled) you can clearly see the small print on the apple juice cartons behind. That's the way to do it. Flaked barley causes haze lol!
How's that glass not empty as I know if mine was on its side there wouldn't be a drop left in it....[emoji12]

Gerry

Latest posts

Back