Kegging for the first time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
Kegged today for the first time.

Quick questions.

I have set the carbonation pressure and disconnected from the gas to leave in the fridge. Is this right or should the gas be connected all the while?

When I de-pressurise and set to serving pressure, again can I disconnect and top up as required or does the gas stay on permanently?

Quick questions.

I have set the carbonation pressure and disconnected from the gas to leave in the fridge. Is this right or should the gas be connected all the while?

When I de-pressurise and set to serving pressure, again can I disconnect and top up as required or does the gas stay on permanently?

If it was chilled before you pressurised it you can disconnect the gas and leave in the fridge to carbonate. If it wasn't, I think, when it's chilled, you should reconnect the gas briefly to repressurise and then disconnect the gas.
When serving, again you can disconnect the gas until the beer stops flowing, then recharge it. :thumb:

I keep topping mine up to 2bar over about 4-5 days when it's chilled to 1-1.5oC.

Then I leave it to condition (1.5oC) for about 2 weeks. And before serving I too it up again to 2 bar and I'm good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick questions.

A quick experiment which might help you answer the questions is attach your gas line and turn on give your keg a rock and roll you will hear more CO2 going in, that's CO2 going into suspension in the beer and being replaced by new C02.

I would say yes for the first 48 hours and then you can reattached once a day or when you want to dependence.

Hope that helps.

Quick questions.

I had 14 corny kegs and at least 4 were always full of beer.

Keep it connected at higher than serving pressure for a week to carbonate it while in the fridge (then bring it back down to serving). Or wait 1 day after its fully chilled, force carbonate while its on the ground at 30psi while rocking it on the ground with your foot for a minute, disconnect, and let it sit for at least a day (or 2), bleed off excess pressure, and serve at normal pressure.

Keep it connected; you can disconnect but unless you have to it won't carbonate as well. The best approach if you have numerous kegs is to use a line splitter.

I tend to run two CO2 tanks; one set up for carbonation which runs two kegs, and one for serving which runs four.

Back