corny carbonation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam51

Reaction score
hi just filled my keg, first time, with a wood fords sundew,
it is at 8 degrees in the fridge, i set it at 10psi , will leave for a week,
is 10psi about right, thanks.

I personally like to chill to 5 deg or a bit less and carb to 30psi, but then disconnect the gas line and let it stand. But I know many others have their own methods. Keep us posted :thumb:

hi just filled my keg, first time, with a wood fords sundew,
it is at 8 degrees in the fridge, i set it at 10psi , will leave for a week,
is 10psi about right, thanks.

I would get it a bit colder as it devolves the CO2 better, I prefer to carbonate at a lowish PSI which is my dispensing pressure over a bit longer time, that way I don't over carbonate the beer and have problems dispensing and I avoid getting a bite from the CO2

I force carb by shaking my keg for 4 minutes at 45 psi. I just don't have a fridge to store my kegs.

with patience and a keg fridge sitting @ the optimum serving temp and pressure as defined by a kegging chart to maintain the optimum condition level when set should condition a brew in a week or so, a few shakes of the keg now and again will help it along, and most beers are a bit too green straight out of the FV so a lil maturing is usually in order.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kegerators.com%2Farticles%2Fcarbonation-table-pressure-chart.php&ei=Tn_MUv_qC5CqhAfL5YHQAw&usg=AFQjCNFBmyJM8-kSKjo26ur1iyUdS-nxpA&sig2=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4
(imho the charts favour a tad over fizzy profiles for beer being US in origin?)

when applying a higher pressure for a quicker turbo conditioning, the chances of hitting a particular target level is a complete gamble and can result in co2 getting shaked back out and wasted.. or making do with an unsuitably conditioned brew..

Hi, your method will work. There are charts on google for pressures/temps for co2 volumes. i find it takes longer than a week to carb correctly if left to just sit, 2 weeks always seems to do the trick.

This is most likely a dumb question...but...why then when I go to the pub and a keg runs out...they just hook a new one up and out comes the beer? They don't have time for 2 weeks...30 in 30 etc.

This is most likely a dumb question...but...why then when I go to the pub and a keg runs out...they just hook a new one up and out comes the beer? They don't have time for 2 weeks...30 in 30 etc.

There beer in them kegs are already carbed up the gas is only used to dispense it

thanks, so many differnet views, ill think i will leave it as it is , maybe give it more time.

Back