Mini

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So BMW are to make the electric mini in the U.K we'll call me an old synic but don't they already make the mini here so all they are doing is putting the electric motor in the existing car, guess where the electric motor is coming from.

GERMANY?

What do I win?

Nuthin'. Everyone loses... I've just read that all petrol and diesel engines will cease production in 2040. If I was a religious type I'd be thanking God that I won't be forced to drive such abominations and that my demise will likely come about at the same time. I hope the global warming brotherhood are pleased with themselves.

What do you have against electric? Oil is a finite resource and electric motors are just about there.

If your all electric car will do 100 miles on a charge how many will it do in winter with the heater and Aircon on to demist and wipers when it's pouring down?

I live in a terraced street how do I charge the thing?

Electric cars may be fine in densely packed urban areas, but imagine trying to use one in the Highlands.
Running out of charge in the middle of nowhere means a long walk!

Range is increasing all of the time and charging points are going to spring up everywhere. You could just as easily run out of fuel in the Highlands. These aren't real issues. Or at least not ones that aren't easily overcome.

The big change that's coming to the automotive industry is self-driving vehicles (I'm sure somewhere Gunge's head just exploded). I doubt by 2040 we'll have to worry about finding charging points.

What do you have against electric? Oil is a finite resource and electric motors are just about there.

I think you're trying to wind me up just by asking that. There's an idea... wind-up cars. They've done radios so why not. Electric cars lol!. No soul, character, user-involvement,sound,spirit etc etc. Like comparing Bieber to Metallica or summat like that. Okay for birds to go shopping in or take the brats to school without even realising they're doing it. That's about as far as it goes. I have old pistons and crankshafts as living room ornaments. Can't see a dead electric motor joining them any time soon. Or ever.

Where's the electricity going to come from in the dead of winter when all the oil and gas-fired power stations are defunct, but there's no wind to power the turbines and no sun to work the solar panels, but there's millions of cars wanting their 'fix'? Anyone would think they want us all to stay home lamenting the passage of the internal combustion engine, staring wistfully out the window at deserted roads.

Where's the electricity going to come from in the dead of winter when all the oil and gas-fired power stations are defunct, but there's no wind to power the turbines and no sun to work the solar panels, but there's millions of cars wanting their 'fix'? Anyone would think they want us all to stay home lamenting the passage of the internal combustion engine, staring wistfully out the window at deserted roads.

DOH!! the Road Warrior will turn up with his truck full of 18650's of course dummy!! dont you know Anything????

lamenting the demise of the internal combustion engine more than 20 years in advance is jumping the gun somewhat..

As if in 20 years anyone will have much of a choice about anything.

Chevrolet now have an electric car with a claimed range of 238 miles. There are going to massive improvements in the next five years with just about all of the car manufacturers getting ready for the change.

All unnecessary cack. Utility vehicles with all the charm and allure of a washing machine. Peak oil is peak cobblers. At least the climate - change wackos might be pacified for a while until the urge to campaign against something which might upset gaia gets the better of them. Nuclear - watch out. And ye I'd rather have a horse and cart than a bloody electric car, at least it has character. Ah, character. I can see where this is going.

Unfortunately the infrastructure to support a change for the mass population to electric cars doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong i wish it did, i like the idea but our current power generation capacity just about meets current needs.

So while i like the idea of electric cars why isn't anyone asking where is the generation capacity going to come from to support the change when everyone plugs their car in at night ?

To be honest few modern cars have character they are all designed in a wind tunnel what I do not get about electric is are trucks and busses etc going to have to go electric as they pollute far more than your average old diesel car and what about planes they are are massive polluters and yet people use them just to get to a place where they can get a tan so totally unnecessary imho.

Unfortunately the infrastructure to support a change for the mass population to electric cars doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong i wish it did, i like the idea but our current power generation capacity just about meets current needs.

So while i like the idea of electric cars why isn't anyone asking where is the generation capacity going to come from to support the change when everyone plugs their car in at night ?

I imagine the majority of us will not be able to plug in at night if like me you park on a terraced street, are we to see charging posts on the street like the old parking meters at the edge of the kerb?

I imagine the majority of us will not be able to plug in at night if like me you park on a terraced street, are we to see charging posts on the street like the old parking meters at the edge of the kerb?

Yes, they're already being trialed somewhere or other. Birmingham I think.

To be honest few modern cars have character they are all designed in a wind tunnel what I do not get about electric is are trucks and busses etc going to have to go electric as they pollute far more than your average old diesel car and what about planes they are are massive polluters and yet people use them just to get to a place where they can get a tan so totally unnecessary imho.
You're not wrong about character Chippy. Buses, I was in New York recently and saw electric ones. Also I was out on my narrow boat a few weeks ago and saw an electric 57' narrow boat, it was absolutely silent.
Don't get rid of planes just yet, I still need them to get to work:thumb:

Chevrolet now have an electric car with a claimed range of 238 miles. There are going to massive improvements in the next five years with just about all of the car manufacturers getting ready for the change.

Mini have already made an electric variant, as described in this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12138420

A modern diesel car is capable of doing this journey and back in a day and on one tank of fuel. I have regularly driven from Worcestershire to Currie near Edinburgh and back in a day on one tank. Even with the doubling of range, in line with the Chevrolet, I'm still saving 3 days.

Electricity has it's place, but more importantly, it has it's limits.

Love the street idea. Kids everywhere unplugging cars to **** owners off in the morning so they cant get to work. Lol

Latest posts

Back