Bottle Condition Taste - Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a first time brewer and just completed the Block Party Amber Ale kit that came with my Northern Brewers starter kit, this was a partial mash brew.

I fermented it for 2 weeks before bottle conditioning, it has been in this state for around 10 days now and I thought I would give it a shot and see how its getting on.

First thing I notice is that the beer is gasey, it looks flat after pouring but you can feel a strong fizz on your tongue and it fills you with gas pretty quickly.

The aroma is good but quickly fades and the beer doesnt have much taste to it either.

Is this part of the conditioning process or is it too late and my beer is a dud? I used everything the kit gave me except when it came to sanitizing for bottling bucket, bottles etc I had to use Milton (we used this for babies bottles and it was fine) as I had none left over from the previous time.

Worried I messed up my first batch.
:doh:

Obviously taste is a subjective thing, and usually beers that are relatively young in the bottle are a little green and the taste mellows as the beer ages. From your description it doesn't sound like the beer has an infection or anything as you descibe it not havng much taste. It may be that that particular kit does not suit your taste.

The beer is clearly carbonated but is not producing a head. That could be down to the beer itself or sometimes any residue of detergent in the glass or even grease on your lips from food can effect the head. Some of the kits I have brewed have been well carbonated but have little or no head. If you want a head and the beer is carbonated (yours is by the sound of it) get yourself a small syringe from the chemist, the type you dose childrens medicine with. Draw some beer from the glass and then squirt it quickly back into the glass, it will produce a nice head.

Dont be put off, try a different kit, one that matches the styles of beers you like, or go for a hoppy Pale Ale if you want something with more flavour and aroma.

If your beer loses its head quickly are your glasses clean?
Any grease or detergent left on a glass will kill the head. If a glass is greasy it will have tiny bubbles forming on the side. Its surprising how many folks on here proudly show off their beer, in greasy glasses.
I wash any used beer glasses first (they don't go in the dishwasher) and then they are rinsed before I dry on a dedicated glasses tea towel, and I often rinse through with clean water before I put any beer in them. It may seem over the top but it works.

Everything you have mentioned there is done to the limited conditioning time. Drink another in a week and I bet it is much better

I agree with Leon, leave it another 2 weeks and it should be much improved.

As a general rule of thumb 2+2+2 works well for brewing standard strength ales, thats:

2 weeks fermenting in FV, then bottle
2 weeks carbing up in the bottles somewhere 18-21°C
2 weeks conditioning somewhere cooler if possible (a garage or cellar for example)

Thanks all

Ill keep it bottled for another week and then try again.

I currently have an APA brewing which will have more flavour ideally.

Latest posts

Back