Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Base malt

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #21
chub1

Liked 690 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 847

I did look at the suppliers own web site and it would be more expensive straight from them!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #22
Rogermort

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
Did GEB say they will have more in the future? Their site indicates they will

The young lady I spoke to said not. It seemed final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 17-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Irishwizard

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I would say it's probably as good as MO but wont give you quite the same flavour. MO has more malty, biscuity, bready flavour. What you can do (which is what i do) is add some biscuit or amber malt. You could add a bit of some munich or even melanoidin malt too
Im sure you are correct. i aim to make a simple smash for the first go and see how it tastes. At the end of the day if it tastes different to MO but is wholly acceptable i may just use it 'as is'.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 18-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #24
Rogermort

Does anybody have any tips for adding my sack of 'Hook Head Irish Pale Malt (Crushed) 4-6 EBC (Minch)' into Beersmith?

Old 18-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #25
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4400 Times on 3332 Posts
Likes Given: 4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogermort View Post
Does anybody have any tips for adding my sack of 'Hook Head Irish Pale Malt (Crushed) 4-6 EBC (Minch)' into Beersmith?
I dont use beersmith but I imagine some of it's like brewmate (which I do use), so you'll need to add the potential extract and colour. It gives you the colour (4-6 EBC) so that's easy enough. It doesnt say what the potential extract is though. It says it's two row barley so you could perhaps use the PE from the figure for American two row that beersmith gives. But I'd also fire off an email to Minch malts and ask them

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Rogermort Likes This 
Old 18-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
Irishwizard

Quote:
Personally Im going to treat it as MO, however I did speak to The home Brew Co and they said that Minch was more efficient that MO, by how much I don't know, so Im going to assume between 5 and 10%
Rogermort Likes This 
Old 18-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
Rogermort

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I dont use beersmith but I imagine some of it's like brewmate (which I do use), so you'll need to add the potential extract and colour. It gives you the colour (4-6 EBC) so that's easy enough. It doesnt say what the potential extract is though. It says it's two row barley so you could perhaps use the PE from the figure for American two row that beersmith gives. But I'd also fire off an email to Minch malts and ask them
Thanks guys (bit of an assumption there!) I've done just that and will report back.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 18-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #28
Irishwizard

Quote:
Thanks guys (bit of an assumption there!) I've done just that and will report back.
let us know what transpires Roger. I plan a brew with the stuff in the next few days, but rarely use a hydrometer....maybe this time

Old 18-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #29
Rogermort

Alan from Minch replied to my email within 30 minutes and said that if I could provide the batch number from the sack he could let me know the potential extract. I had to wait until I got home from work to get it so I expect I'll hear back on Monday.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #30
Irishwizard

Quote:
Alan from Minch replied to my email within 30 minutes and said that if I could provide the batch number from the sack he could let me know the potential extract. I had to wait until I got home from work to get it so I expect I'll hear back on Monday.

Just cracked open a pint (single hop) using Minch Malt and it certainly has a different taste to MO, but still makes a lovely pint. Ive loads left so now have to use it.