Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Base malt

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #31
Simonh82

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwizard View Post
Just cracked open a pint (single hop) using Minch Malt and it certainly has a different taste to MO, but still makes a lovely pint. Ive loads left so now have to use it.
This is what I found when I bought 5KG to compare to my usual MO. It is nice but a bit lighter in body. I love MO so have decided to stick with that as my standard base malt.
Tony's Porter
Jeremy Corbeeryn (Hoppy Red Ale)
Planning
Golden Challenge (British Golden Ale)
---------------------------------
Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]

Old 29-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #32
Rogermort

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry it's taken me so long (been on holiday and had all sorts of work problems) but I got the certificate of analysis for Minch Malt Hook Head Irish Ale Malt and contacted Brad Smith with a view to creating an accurate Beersmith 'Add on' I used the following information, Brad checked it against the certificate and reckons my interpretations are correct. Use it (if you use Beersmith) as you see fit:
Colour 4.2 EBC
Potential 1.039 SG
Moisture 4.2%
Yield 83.80%
Coarse Fine Difference 1.5%
Diastatic Power 97.4 Lintner
Protein 9.4%
Leon103 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #33
Godfather50

Liked 42 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've used a sack of Minch Malt over my last 5 or 6 brews. My efficiency went up for each brew. My normal 80% went to 90%. Very happy with the price. BUT there is for me a question mark. After three years of brewing good tasty beer, the last few beaches have not hit the mark. I've puzzled over each one. The yeast? The sparge? Then I sat down and examined when it started. It was when I started using Minch as the base malt. So now I've bought Golden Promise and will see if there is an upturn in flavour. Until then it's just a question mark.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #34
Leon103

Liked 820 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Beer on the beaches
Godfather50 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #35
Honk

Liked 90 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
Beer on the beaches
we shall drink them on the beaches, we shall drink them in the fields and in the streets, we shall drink in the hills; we shall never surrender!
Godfather50 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #36
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4393 Times on 3330 Posts
Likes Given: 4622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather50 View Post
I've used a sack of Minch Malt over my last 5 or 6 brews. My efficiency went up for each brew. My normal 80% went to 90%. Very happy with the price. BUT there is for me a question mark. After three years of brewing good tasty beer, the last few beaches have not hit the mark. I've puzzled over each one. The yeast? The sparge? Then I sat down and examined when it started. It was when I started using Minch as the base malt. So now I've bought Golden Promise and will see if there is an upturn in flavour. Until then it's just a question mark.
Mmm. I was going to buy a sack of minch malt because my sack of irish ale malt from GEB is coming to an end and they dont sell it any more. This has made me think twice about it now

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #37
Gunge

Liked 905 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Quote:
Hmm.. I too have noted amazing efficiency and I'm really happy with it. But I've been using it exclusively for long enough to be blind to any deficiencies. Think I'll get some M.O. next time just to compare.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #38
Godfather50

Liked 42 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Thoughts on Minch Malt

Quote:
A while back I raised a question mark as to the quality of this malt. I'm pretty sure now that it is fine malt. I believe now that I was drinking my brews too young. The cellars had run down etc. Found a couple of bottles brewed back in August - so 3 or 4 months to condition. No hint of any problems. I have continued to purchase from The Home Brew Company as their delivery charges to the Scottish Highlands are the best. I will now return to the Minch Malt.