Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > First attempt at cider.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 16-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
lektoraj

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

About to start bottling today and I tried a small glass poured from the tap at the bottom (of primary).

The consistency of it seems very thick (i.e. like ground apples). It doesn't really have a strong taste of any kind - though it seems alcoholic.

Presumably it's not going to be that thick all the way though - perhaps I should fill each bottle (I have forty 0.5l bottles with swing tops) in two stages, some from the bottom and some from the top.

I have a bit of time though as I still have to put the tops onto the bottles before I start and also prime with some apple juice but if anyone wants to tell me I'm doing something wrong then now is a good time.

Re: sweetener, the idea is basically to bottle without sweetener and then to experiment putting it in different amounts as we open each bottle to see what it's like so I know how much to put in next time.

Old 16-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
freester

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektoraj View Post
The consistency of it seems very thick (i.e. like ground apples).
Sounds to me like the lees are coming out of the tap - not the cider.

I personally wouldn't be bottling straight away. Try syphoning the cider into another container if possible. Let it settle and clear a bit before bottling. Then you will also be more certain the fermentation has finished and you aren't bottling bombs
chub1 Likes This 
Old 19-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
lektoraj

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure it had stopped fermenting by the time I bottled it. The apple juice I added earlier in the thread had made it restart then stop again.

So in the end I threw away the first litre or so that came out which yes was mostly lees.

Any ideas why I had so much lees? Is it from using home juiced apples rather than supermarket juice? Should I have filtered it all before fermenting?

At the moment I have (in the order it came out the tap at the bottom):

8 bottles which have quite a bit lot of sediment - i.e. the lees. The plan when drinking is to pour this into glasses through a fine sieve.

24 bottles which came out next from the middle of the container and seem pretty much sediment free, though they are a beautiful "real cider" colour:

These are probably to be drunk as is or possibly also sieved if necesssary.

After these, the "cake" from the top of the container started blocking the tap - five more bottles were produced by filtering it through a fine sieve, these look similar to the ones from the middle of the tank (possibly slightly lighter in colour). These should be fine to drink straight as is.

All bottles were primed with 25 ml of 11g sugar/100ml apple juice for carbonation.

The plan is to start drinking them in two weeks. I will report back on which (if any) of these are drinkable.
freester Likes This 
Old 20-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
MattH1973

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I made similar rookie mistakes last year and got a lot of sediment in some bottles - they were still fine once cleared, just made pouring a bit of a pain and it was annoying to waste the cloudy bit at the bottom of the bottles.

I think the answer is to siphon into a clean vessel (ideally a demijohn) before bottling and leave to clear in that vessel. Then siphon again to a bottling bucket with a tap at the bottom. I hope to do a better job of that this year.

Old 20-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #15
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could win an award with that, I think it's the worst attempt at making Cider i've ever seen.

Old 21-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
lektoraj

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been drinking these for the last couple of weeks.

They didn't carbonate in the bottles - perhaps the supermarket 100% apple juice I used to carbonate has something in it?

Opaque yellow colour. Sediment at the bottom of some of the bottles is well behaved and stays at the bottom of the bottle when you pour the cider into a glass.

The initial taste is quite sour (perhaps from some of the sweet-sour apples used) but as you drink it the body sends signals to the brain that it's pure vitamins and alcohol and to send more down and you start to like it and it doesn't taste sour any more (sounds strange but that's how it is).

I didn't measure initial or final gravity but from drinking a few at once I'd guess at roughly 5% alcohol (i.e. clearly not half that and clearly not double that).

Not much variation based on the order the bottles were they were pulled from - same from all parts of the fermenter.

The key thing is - I prefer this to both "Strongbow" and "Lisiak zo Sadu" (Heineken Slovakia) - ciders that are available in the supermarket so that's mission accomplished I think.
freester Likes This