Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Kit Reviews > On The Rocks - Mixed Berry

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 22-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
richytrue

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default On The Rocks - Mixed Berry

I sampled (along with the large majority of the wife's family) this kit at the weekend and I have to say it is very pleasant. I had only tried Bulldog kits before this one which were acceptable but in my humble opinion this is much better. You do need to add your own sugar to this one (where you don't in the bulldogs) but you do also get a sachet of "Apple Add-back" which as far as I can tell has the purpose of turning the cider a nice, light purple colour (kind of what you'd expect from a Strongbow Dark Fruit) which looks really nice over ice in a pint glass.

Would definitely recommend it to someone wanting to have a go at a kit and who likes this sort of fruit cider, only £17.99 from creative as well.
Old 22-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Ciaran12s

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I done the raspberry and lime a while back. Was pretty good. Benefited from a couple months in the bottle but still good after a week or two.

Would you say this is sickly sweet? Like kopparberg? The raspberry and lime just had a nice undertone and was probably medium dry. I can't take sickly sweet ciders

Old 22-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
WierdFish

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I made this mixed berry a while back. It's not sickly sweet and it also doesn't taste very strong, but at around 6% it packs a punch. Took a while to carbonate in the bottles though.

Would probably do another one.

Old 22-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Ciaran12s

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yeah the rasp and lime came out at 6ish if my memory serves and could have done with a bit more fizz. Cleared really well though. I think I'll stick another one on soon. Probably go on the rocks. That was my one and only and I was pleased and they all get reviews

Old 23-08-2017, 04:53 AM   #5
Soton
some random guy

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I normally do one of these a year for SHMBO, and it's just amazing how the flavour improves if you leave it a few months
Old 23-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
richytrue

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It definitely wasn't sickly sweet, very refreshing I would say. I've just bought the Raspberry and Lime one - I'll put it on some point this week.