Severe nut allergy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Listening to the radio before work and they are discussing a young woman who went to a resteraunt ordered a meal and asked if it had nuts in it they said no and unfortunately it did, she had a severe reaction leaving her brain damaged as she stopped breathing.

If you had an allergy would you trust a waiter or chef with your life, I certainly wouldn't.

I take it that that was the case with the "Indian" takeaway where the girl died and the owner got done for manslaughter.
If not, the food industry is learning slow.
In either case, there is responsibility on both parts.
Yes, the supplier should know what's in the food they sell and as nut allergies are relatively common, that includes oils.
On the flip side, it's the girls responsibility to be very specific when asking and to both carry and know how to use an Epi-Pen and/or antihistamines.

There's a short video of the poor lass on here ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2&pLid=-1215623622_uk

... and it is truly shocking.

From all of the reports, the people were "reassured" by the restaurant concerned before having the negative reaction. In other words they KNEW that they had a severe allergy.

I have to ask "Why would ANYONE with such a dangerous allergy trust a total stranger to look after their interests?"

It's almost as if they were playing Russian Roulette with their own life.

That is the girl Dutto.

Since my OP (and before I saw your video) I learned the people who said it didn't contain nuts didn't speak English so for me that's Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the gun not one.

Definitely a different case. The other one was a young girl called Megan Lee.
I agree that its foolish to trust someone else to prepare your food if you have severe reactions.
In this case, it seems that she did use her auto-injector but sadly, it failed to stop the reaction.

Latest posts

Back