Second stage fermenting advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintmark

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum so hello. I have only just started out in the world of home brew. I have done two brews previously from kits which is like a treacle and they have turned out ok.
I'm currently brewing my third treacle kit but this time I have used a brew enhancer.
The question I have is, on my previous brews after first fermenting in the tub I have transferred to bottles and added sugar to the bottle. On the brew enhancer it says it should be used instead of sugar so do I now add carbonation drops to the bottles or can I still add sugar at the bottling process?
Any help is much appreciated, in the future I'm going to be looking at making brews from scratch so I'll make full use of the forum.
Thanks in advance.

you can use either. I prefer drops as I find that easier, however sugar is cheaper. Batch priming is also an option, where you transfer to a second bucket & put the total required quantity of sugar into that before bottling.

Cheers. The thing that threw me was on the brew enhancer box it said to be used instead of sugar. Will carbonation drops give less sedement?
If I transfer to a second bucket before bottling won't it loose all of the fizz?

You combine extract with water. You then add sugar as per instructions to increase fermentables. Enhancer is a mixture of plain sugar plus more complex and expensive malt sugars. The malt sugars will add flavour and body to your brew. Plain table sugar alone will add not much more than alcohol.
The kit will say add 1kg of sugar as an example. Adding 1kg of enhancer is a replacement to that 1kg of sugar. This has no impact at all on sugar added for priming at bottling time.

So in short, just add sugar to your bottles as normal.

Latest posts

Back