Cryo hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Has anyone used any yet? http://www.geterbrewed.com/hops/?features_hash=2-115

Just brewed what was rather a tasteless pale ale/IPA and dry hopped 5l of each with these hops. Only 10g per 5l but the change in taste and flavour is dramatic. Not at all cheap imo but i will be trying them again. I shook the DJ's to encourage them to drop before cold crashing for a day. They certainly were not clear when bottled by any means. The smell of the hops is amazing!

Looking forward to trying these at some point. I have too many hops in my freezer at the moment to consider another purchase but I've only heard good things.

Here they are after a few hours. They had dropped a little by the next day but i couldnt wait so gently shook them. I guess i should of left one of them to compare but i heard you can get grainy beer if you dont ger rid of them. Sample was fine though. I hope more become varieties become available soon and cheaper in bulk.

DSC_0417.jpg

I used 100g cascade & 50g citra cryo hops in a recent red ipa - There meant to be twice as potent as normal pellets, so you use half as many.
I like them and was also thinking of going a bit cazy with some in a neipa - I've got a pack of wyeast London 3 in the fridge that needs using up :whistle:

After trying a very nice beer from BeerCat :thumb: that was dry hopped with cryo hops I have ordered some of these to try out.

I do have a couple of questions for those who have used them

Are there any issues getting them to mix in?
How do you use them in the boiler? (I normally just whirlpool with pellets, no filtration)
For dry hopping do you just chuck them in?

Cheers

After trying a very nice beer from BeerCat :thumb: that was dry hopped with cryo hops I have ordered some of these to try out.

I do have a couple of questions for those who have used them

Are there any issues getting them to mix in?
How do you use them in the boiler? (I normally just whirlpool with pellets, no filtration)
For dry hopping do you just chuck them in?

Cheers

Treat them just the same you would pellets - they break up easily.
Once broken up I'd say the bits are slightly finer than with standard pellets.

When i opened up the pack they were in a very solid lump. I chucked them in the FV then concerned they would not break up i fished them out and tried to mash them with a fork. Probably completely unnecessary so wont bother again. The difference in taste after dry hopping with them was massive. I dry hopped 10l with 30g of simcoe cryo and another 10l with 40g of fresh citra pellets. No competition and the smell when you open the bag is immense. I had read people have had trouble getting them to drop out but i had no issues and only cold crashed for 48 hours.

I have a 50g pack of cascade i want to dry hop with and it feels like rock. Does anyone know if it will break apart in the beer?

My above comment about treating it like pellets is incorrect. The smell fades fast so i am trying to use up a bag each time.

Latest posts

Back