Grainfather Whirlpool and Aeration Brewing Paddle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Anyone got one of these?
Any good?
Any advice for use (e.g. drill speed, length of time whirlpooling)?

I realise that I should maybe have posted these questions BEFORE shelling out �£20 on the internet. But it was payday; I'd had a couple of home-brews; it was shiny.....

IMG_3287.jpg

I'm looking to get one, mainly as whirlpooling the wort after boiling gives me arm ache:lol:

David Heath does have a review of one on his YouTube channel.

I seen they'd started selling them but wasn't sure what value it'd add as I have an air stone and am far too lazy to whirlpool. :lol: Ill be interested to hear how you get on with it tho.

Took delivery of mine yesterday, brew day today so it's getting a run out. I will post later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just completed another successful brew day. I must say that the paddle has already started payback for what's barely the cost of five pints at the local. I previously whirlpooled for five minutes with a spoon which was a ball ache. Three minutes with the paddle in a drill was peasy.
The aeration was brilliant as the pic shows, a great head on.
cee5d7baba5898ddbcd40ec51429c06c.jpg

The instructions mention not putting the paddle in too deep so as not to knock the filter off. I've always had a problem with that so I have fixed the neck on with a jubilee clip and turn the filter round a lodge it against the thermo well.
4a90fa070d0ea9fbbbb1cf50acc6b664.jpg

Think I may well have to get one with my next order (will help bump it up to the free delivery value :lol:)

I've done the same thing with my filter the last couple of brews, although I think my "stainless steel" jubilee clip isn't stainless as it's started to go rusty!

I bought a stainless steel paint mixer cyklone.co.uk £12.99 from Amazon and I'd is spot on.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I'm looking to get one, mainly as whirlpooling the wort after boiling gives me arm ache:lol:

David Heath does have a review of one on his YouTube channel.

I got one cos trying to whirlpool with a bendy plastic paddle was giving me tennis elbow and golfer's elbow at the same time, and my 'whirlpool' was more of a gentle eddy.

Cheers for the heads up about the David Heath vid. Now that is a proper whirlpool !

Still waiting to try mine out.

I bought a stainless steel paint mixer cyklone.co.uk �£12.99 from Amazon and I'd is spot on.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Now this looks interesting too, thanks for the heads up :thumb:

Just completed another successful brew day. I must say that the paddle has already started payback for what's barely the cost of five pints at the local. I previously whirlpooled for five minutes with a spoon which was a ball ache. Three minutes with the paddle in a drill was peasy.
The aeration was brilliant as the pic shows, a great head on.
cee5d7baba5898ddbcd40ec51429c06c.jpg

The instructions mention not putting the paddle in too deep so as not to knock the filter off. I've always had a problem with that so I have fixed the neck on with a jubilee clip and turn the filter round a lodge it against the thermo well.

Thats a very impressive amount of air you have got in there. What sort of price for a corldless to run one of these? Also like your FV, wheres it from?

Thats a very impressive amount of air you have got in there. What sort of price for a corldless to run one of these? Also like your FV, wheres it from?

The drill is from Screwfix, Titan brand. There are a couple of models about fifty quid.

The FVs come from Italy, a company called Polsinelli. 30 litre versions, bought two @ £150 including DHL delivery. They are great and obviously very shiny.

https://www.polsinelli.it/en/fermenter-30-l-stainless-steel-barrel-P1446.htm

Hope this helps.

I tried the paddle out today.

I had a bit of trouble with my drill though. I managed to get a nice circular flow of wort, but not the impressive whirlpool I saw on the Youtube vid.

My drill speed depends on the pressure you put on the trigger. I found that there was no speed in between nice and gentle circular flow of wort, and oh my gosh massive splashy mess with sticky wort up the walls and all over the control box.

Still, I had a very nice cone of hops and mess at the bottom of the GF, so looks like it's a winner.

The instructions mention not putting the paddle in too deep so as not to knock the filter off.

I've always had a problem with that so I have fixed the neck on with a jubilee clip and turn the filter round a lodge it against the thermo well.

That is an idea right enough. I have had the end come off recently doing a wheat/barley 50/50 mash as there is a lot of break material.

Solved the problem of a blocked pump by just decanting the boiled wort into my BIAB equipment - bag inside the Peco boiler that I use now for heating the sparge water.

Then cleaned out the GF and forced water back down the exterior recirculation tube, after removing the spring and ball inserts.

Lengthy procedure, but low risk and not particularly difficult. The wort on return to the GF, to use the chiller, got boiled up again.

Comes under the category of "Familiar, Minor A*** Ache" , so the procedure might be likened to "Anusol for the Brewday" :whistle:

Back