What percentage oats in a pale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I'm making a light (OG 1.036) amber/pale ale on monday. I'm going to add some porridge oats. After doing a bit of googling I'm going to add 12.5%. What percent do other people add?

My recipes including oats tend to vary between 10 and 16 per cent. Pales are generally between 10 and 12 per cent.

Have added both rolled and flaked oats between 10% and 15% with a high favour towards rolled (Porridge oats) and your definitely in the ballpark

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Funnily enough, I was going to be asking this question in about 3 weeks time. I'd been thinking about 10%

Tried making popcorn today and what a mess so have threw this together with no idea how it's going to turn out.
3kg Propino malt
1kg Porridge oats
340g Cara Amber
160g Cara red
100g Special B
50g Chateau Café light 240
50g Crystal 240
250g Popcorn
250g Flaked puddind rice
200g Desicated Coconut

All in the mash tun which I have underlet.Mashing with 25l at 66° and then I'm going to try recirculating with two pumps maintaining the boiler at 75° which has 10l of water currently heating for the sparge.
Another concoction hehehe....

Tried making popcorn today and what a mess so have threw this together with no idea how it's going to turn out.
3kg Propino malt
1kg Porridge oats
340g Cara Amber
160g Cara red
100g Special B
50g Chateau Café light 240
50g Crystal 240
250g Popcorn
250g Flaked puddind rice
200g Desicated Coconut

All in the mash tun which I have underlet.Mashing with 25l at 66° and then I'm going to try recirculating with two pumps maintaining the boiler at 75° which has 10l of water currently heating for the sparge.
Another concoction hehehe....

So the popcorn didnt go so well. That's a shame as I was thinking of using it instead of H&B cornflakes as they're a bit expensive.

I didnt do the oatmeal pale in the end and did a cream ale instead as the cornflakes have been sitting in my grain suppy bin for weeks needing to be used

So the popcorn didnt go so well. That's a shame as I was thinking of using it instead of H&B cornflakes as they're a bit expensive.

I didnt do the oatmeal pale in the end and did a cream ale instead as the cornflakes have been sitting in my grain suppy bin for weeks needing to be used
Haha not to fear as I had ordered a Popcorn maker and shall be here for the weekend so shall be next week but it will be done.
I tried a large pot and burnt a few,tried a microwavable tub and burnt a hole in the tub,then tried a smaller pot as SWMBO stepped in for guidance but way too slow to get a good quantity and the volume when popped is something else.
By the way @MyQul I'm still harvesting the yeast from the Cascade SMaSH and the Cascade is fantastic.
Shall resume Popcorn lager next week.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Does the cornflakes go into the mash?

@Gerryjo I've discovered you can just use brewing sugar as that's corn sugar in place of flake maize/popcorn/etc

How many gens is your cascade yeast on now, then?

@Gerryjo I've discovered you can just use brewing sugar as that's corn sugar in place of flake maize/popcorn/etc

How many gens is your cascade yeast on now, then?

I've only made the one cascade but have used the yeast on five seperate occasions,as I've also reclaimed S04 from my stout so definitely worthwhile.
I ordered a popcorn maker which came on thursday but back on shift tonight so shall get a crack at that next week and I've also ordered grains and yeast to try out the Vienna Lager in Graham Wheelers book so shall be busy for a while and have a mountain of grain to get through.
I also have a yeast combo retrieved from my lucky 7 which has CML Belgian,Pale Ale and a 3rd gen reclaimed Notty so shall be looking to use this in an upcoming brew.:thumb:

@Gerryjo I've discovered you can just use brewing sugar as that's corn sugar in place of flake maize/popcorn

That's great news but it's not cheap either.I'm interested to try the popcorn just to see how it actually turns and the fact it's no different than say crushing grains and it's natural which is appealing.:thumb:

That's great news but it's not cheap either.I'm interested to try the popcorn just to see how it actually turns and the fact it's no different than say crushing grains and it's natural which is appealing.:thumb:

It's not too bad from wilko (£2.50/kg) which is certainly cheaper than the H&B cornflakes I recently used. But your right popcorn is more natural, and who doesnt like a brewing experiment

Back