Shine on!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just arrived! Too much excitement!

20170921_141912.jpg

B.E.A.Utiful :thumb:

You know you're going to have to brew A LOT now though to make all that gear worthwhile though right?

...oh yes! One night shift to do, stout cold crashing in the brew fridge so will be ready to bottle,4 days off coming up! Hope to get 2 brews cracked out.
Any advice for first cleaning etc before use?

Cheers

Clint

Oops! Almost forgot....big shout out to the maltmiller and homebrew shop . co.uk for faultless service!

Hmm.....keen to commission the new pots I've been looking at some suggestions for first use cleaning and passivation. ...
Seems there's a few options...trisodium phosphate keeps popping up for the initial cleaning then there's various passivation options including soaking in a high concentrate of star san,using citric acid or oxalic acid (bar keepers friend).
Confused now! I got pure oxi,star san and vwp.

Hmm.....keen to commission the new pots I've been looking at some suggestions for first use cleaning and passivation. ...
Seems there's a few options...trisodium phosphate keeps popping up for the initial cleaning then there's various passivation options including soaking in a high concentrate of star san,using citric acid or oxalic acid (bar keepers friend).
Confused now! I got pure oxi,star san and vwp.

I take it you've done a bit of googling about passivating SS, so no need for me to explain (not that I'm an expert on it or anything)?

I have...but there's so many suggestions! Rob at the maltmiller who supplied the pots said give them a good oxi clean. ...
What I can gather as long as any production oil and grime is removed the pot rinsed and dried the steel will naturally passivate.

Passivation is the process where the base metal corrosion resistance is enhanced before service by treating the surface by cleaning to remove manufacturing residues and then chemical treating. The passivation layer on the metal surface is usually only microns thick.
That said why do you need to passivate this stainless steel brewing kit? Although there are many types of SS it's usually sold fit for purpose in terms of corrosion resistance, and may only need a good clean. Simply using it in service will provide any 'passivation' layer.
The only proviso on that is if the SS is not of good quality and has been contaminated with carbon steel inclusions which may corrode under some conditions. If you have cheap cutlery look for tiny holes to see what this means.
Or am I missing something?

Passivation is the process where the base metal corrosion resistance is enhanced before service by treating the surface by cleaning to remove manufacturing residues and then chemical treating. The passivation layer on the metal surface is usually only microns thick.
That said why do you need to passivate this stainless steel brewing kit? Although there are many types of SS it's usually sold fit for purpose in terms of corrosion resistance, and may only need a good clean. Simply using it in service will provide any 'passivation' layer.
The only proviso on that is if the SS is not of good quality and has been contaminated with carbon steel inclusions which may corrode under some conditions. If you have cheap cutlery look for tiny holes to see what this means.
Or am I missing something?

I knew we'd get someone chipping in who know a lot more about this kind of thing than me :thumb:

Back