@ManxNorton X @Beardedmag Brewday!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a ball.... might be up your way myself in a couple of months Bri, so watch out..

Get in Fil!
Haven't seen your for years!!
Be good ta see you ya old so n so lol!
Learnt so much from you ova the years..
Aye a meet up n with Kris aswell be great!! Plenty of 'haunts' we will like in the toon!
Lata m8
Bri

Hi all,
Been a great brew day for Kris (now into the dark side!)
Doesn't need me! A clever bloke this one...
Even understood my 'what's its chops!' The thingby bob! And my terets!!!
All good fun...
I'll leave the best part to Kris...it is his thread after all!
Just doing my bit to help..
Fully enjoyed it.
Knackered now lol
Lata all,
Bri

Everyone is going to have to be patient with me as I try to work out the ins and out of posting pics and replies to the thread haha!

It's been a long week :D Below is the grain bill and Hops used yesterday!

6 KG MARRIS OTTER
350g Cara-Pils
350g Crystal Malt - 10L
350g Munich Malt
170g Honey Malt
170g Wheat Malt
28g Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
28g Citra [12.0%] - Boil 30 min
Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
28g Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min
28g Citra [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
28g Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min
YEAST California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Dry Hop Schedule
39g Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 12 days
15g Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 12 days
20g Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 9 days
26g Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 6 days
31g Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

Bitterness: IBUs
Est OG: 1.073
Est FG: 1.011
ABV: 8.2%

Can't take any credit for any of the water treatment as with me being at graft till 4pm Bri had already prepped this ready for us to crack straight on when I arrived. I'll let Bri talk about that as it's all still new to me and I will be looking into this alot more in coming brews!

So I rocked up and Bri had everything ready and in place, grain, hops minus the citra as I was popping my cherry and supplying this, kettle on and pies ready to be munched. We decided on a 23 litre brew as thought it would be a great start to AG.

First thing we did was get the 21l strike water up to temperature at 65C.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Got the temperature up to 65C easily enough and began adding the grains. Worked out spot on with no grain balls or problems! Got it all in the GF maintained temperature spot on too then left for an hour whilst we cracked on with more cuppas and pies. Me in full brewing glory in the pics haha!

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

A crucial part of any brew. Mash timing of the pie munching. I must stress that getting the optimum pie temperature is critical when brewing or it can result in some very high stomach grumble readings.

image1.jpg

After the hour came the good bits, the draining of the grain ready for the sparge!
The smells coming out of the grain were amazing and again had no problems all went smoothly, definitely down to the pies.
Got the grain up and onto the rest ready whilst we prepped the sparge water in the boiler. Got this up to temperature then cracked on with the sparge. Got a really good flow through the grains I think this was down to Bri's tinkering of the grain bill and adding a couple of things to aid with the flow through the grain. Couple pics below showing myself on chief sparge duties and the GF ready.

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

Boil went well and adding of the hops was all timed perfectly give or take 30 secs where we were were talking about everything under the sun. All the hops went in on time and the aroma off the GF was amazing. Someone really needs to bring out a Hop Scented Car Airfreshner!

IMG_3988 (1).jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Then once completed I did a pirate impression on a cooled sample using the Refractometer to get the post boil reading. was up to 1.065 so we added 190g sugar to bump this up a bit more closer to recipe guideline.

IMG_4284.jpg

Time was getting on now so we got the wort into the cubes and Bri is going to pitch the yeast and the rest and get into fermentation fridge :D All in all a cracking day and a real eye opener into the workings of AG brewing! Good crack and good brewing :D

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

Hahahaha!!
A great read pal..
The problems is always going to arise with a high Grain bill to the volume you want!!
This high Grain bill was tinkered to 20l batch!!
And looking back! The 21l mash n 8.5l sparge...boil off etc means working back from the volume we (Kris wanted) was under...I'll report when I pitch the yeast this safta..for the exact volume.
If I WAS doing a 20l batch with a normal 4-4.5kg Grain bill the volumes will be spot on..JUST MY EXPERIENCE haha!!
Kris was fully enjoying the experience and it showed by his enthusiasm and making notes for his brewday journal,.
Me I was happy to bring to the party what I learnt from you all and enjoyed teaching as best I can...
And having a right good laugh!!
Some would ask is the DIPA for the first AG brew a bit hard? Lol
It didn't faze him at all...
We get on well, and this helps!! Nowt worse in a boring so n so!! Or a know it all.....hahaha!!! Tried to not come across as I know everything..coz I don't!! If I did I'd forget everything anysways as you know lol...
We got a great homebrewer here that loves the learning and ready to explore the hobby more...
Plus he's a good laugh..
The water treatment was spot on with the style...the mash pH was a bit high..but 5.6 wasn't too bad..
Tinkered with using Oat husks and the big Grain bill was no prob!! Phew!
There's a thread about a stuck sparge I think? Us GF users have had one..once in a while.
Kris took to the recipe maker like a duck to water! Think his tech side of his job and training was easy for him!!! As well as researching and reading up.
All said n done...a great brewday! N by the time he got home..n I cleaned up...both knackered and maybe sneaky bottle of craft IPA b4 bed!
Report back with pitching the yeast.
Prob get a response why didn't you get in the picture!! Hahahaha (bet Clint mentioned it )
Me....I can scare kid let alone adult!!
All I say 'HILL HAVE EYES!!'
Lata
Bri

Hahahaha!!
A great read pal..
The problems is always going to arise with a high Grain bill to the volume you want!!
This high Grain bill was tinkered to 20l batch!!
And looking back! The 21l mash n 8.5l sparge...boil off etc means working back from the volume we (Kris wanted) was under...I'll report when I pitch the yeast this safta..for the exact volume.
If I WAS doing a 20l batch with a normal 4-4.5kg Grain bill the volumes will be spot on..JUST MY EXPERIENCE haha!!
Kris was fully enjoying the experience and it showed by his enthusiasm and making notes for his brewday journal,.
Me I was happy to bring to the party what I learnt from you all and enjoyed teaching as best I can...
And having a right good laugh!!
Some would ask is the DIPA for the first AG brew a bit hard? Lol
It didn't faze him at all...
We get on well, and this helps!! Nowt worse in a boring so n so!! Or a know it all.....hahaha!!! Tried to not come across as I know everything..coz I don't!! If I did I'd forget everything anysways as you know lol...
We got a great homebrewer here that loves the learning and ready to explore the hobby more...
Plus he's a good laugh..
The water treatment was spot on with the style...the mash pH was a bit high..but 5.6 wasn't too bad..
Tinkered with using Oat husks and the big Grain bill was no prob!! Phew!
There's a thread about a stuck sparge I think? Us GF users have had one..once in a while.
Kris took to the recipe maker like a duck to water! Think his tech side of his job and training was easy for him!!! As well as researching and reading up.
All said n done...a great brewday! N by the time he got home..n I cleaned up...both knackered and maybe sneaky bottle of craft IPA b4 bed!
Report back with pitching the yeast.
Prob get a response why didn't you get in the picture!! Hahahaha (bet Clint mentioned it )
Me....I can scare kid let alone adult!!
All I say 'HILL HAVE EYES!!'
Lata
Bri

Good to see you're back on form with fellow brewer and a great write up from you both.Next thing you know you'll be Youtubing it dancing to the brewday hahahaha.....Great stuff and keeperlit....:thumb:

Back