Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > The Hod’s Brew Shed Build

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Hoddy

Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan125 View Post
I'm feeling your pain - about 18 months into decorating the hall.
The walls need repainting before I've finished glossing the woodwork.

But good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and how it turns out. Have you alreay decided on the layout inside?

I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

IMG_1312.jpg

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
dan125 Likes This 
Old 24-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Leon103

Liked 822 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 684

I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc

Old 24-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4405 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 4628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
The biggest challenge will be doing this along side a full time job and 2 kids.

Sell the kids on ebay. 10k project budget! (great threadbtw)

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

BeardedMag Likes This 
Old 24-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Hoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc

Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Old 25-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #15
Leon103

Liked 822 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too

I have a good timber merchant locally that grows its on timber and is much cheaper and better quality than the major building merchants.

Old 25-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
TiddlyWin

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Hi have a few ideas about my garage as well, I will be following this post closely .

I want to completely gut it, but I fear there is a lot more to do before any actual building takes place. It's only a single brick building which sustained massive amounts of water damage about 3 years ago due to a really ****ty roof, which was replaced a few weeks later.

It has electric (Door end of the garage which was fine) and currently has a fridge freezer and my barrel fridge in.

I best start saving
GerritT Likes This 
Old 25-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #17
sdt7618

Liked 187 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

Attachment 10382

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.

Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-co...-sink-unit.jpg

Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.

Old 25-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Hoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdt7618 View Post
Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-co...-sink-unit.jpg

Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.

Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.

Whatever is ready

Old 25-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #19
sdt7618

Liked 187 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.

If you know any local builders, you might be able to get some old kitchen carcases if the are doing kitchen fits. just a case of getting doors if the one on aren't your taste. either that or check out the DIY shops wickes etc who do end of line stuff on sale every now and again.

I have tried to make myself before and it never seems to "fit" properly, doors are always a pain to get right and look like a decent job when not on a purpose made unit carcase.

good luck what ever way you go

Old 25-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #20
Hoddy

Default The Hod’s Brew Shed Build

Day 3 - There it was. Gone.......

IMG_3447.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3449.jpg

Next to dig back all of the soil and remove the vegetation. Then lay the brick course with DPC.

Whatever is ready

People Like This