Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > The Hod’s Brew Shed Build

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Hoddy
Junior Member
 
Hoddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greatham - East Hants
Posts: 952
Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan125 View Post
I'm feeling your pain - about 18 months into decorating the hall.
The walls need repainting before I've finished glossing the woodwork.

But good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and how it turns out. Have you alreay decided on the layout inside?


I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

IMG_1312.jpg

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drinking
I cant keep this up to date....

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Hoddy is offline  
dan125 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Leon103
Senior Member
 
Leon103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,512
Liked 822 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Default

I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc
Leon103 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 12,729
Liked 4405 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 4628

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
The biggest challenge will be doing this along side a full time job and 2 kids.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sell the kids on ebay. 10k project budget! (great threadbtw)
__________________

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare







MyQul is offline  
BeardedMag Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Hoddy
Junior Member
 
Hoddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greatham - East Hants
Posts: 952
Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
I was thinking a 3x4m build using the base I have my greenhouse on. I already have electric down there but that may need upgrading.

My current thoughts are purely using it as a pub shed and leaving my brewing equipment in the garage.

It will be a timber build. Not sure on cost but I think I can do it for a grand which will no doubt be two when I price up insulation, log burner etc


Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drinking
I cant keep this up to date....

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Hoddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #15
Leon103
Senior Member
 
Leon103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,512
Liked 822 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Don’t underestimate the costs of decent quality timber and insulation is all I can say.

I’m kinda hoping that my place will also double as a pub shed too. I’ve got good Wi-fi there so no reason why one of my Sonos speakers and a tv with an online stream box won’t make it out there too


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a good timber merchant locally that grows its on timber and is much cheaper and better quality than the major building merchants.
Leon103 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
TiddlyWin
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fair Oak
Posts: 71
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Hi have a few ideas about my garage as well, I will be following this post closely .

I want to completely gut it, but I fear there is a lot more to do before any actual building takes place. It's only a single brick building which sustained massive amounts of water damage about 3 years ago due to a really ****ty roof, which was replaced a few weeks later.

It has electric (Door end of the garage which was fine) and currently has a fridge freezer and my barrel fridge in.

I best start saving
TiddlyWin is offline  
GerritT Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #17
sdt7618
Senior Member
 
sdt7618's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 689
Liked 187 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
I’m thinking the layout is going to be something like this.

Attachment 10382

Depends how much SWMBO wants to get involved in the layout.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-co...-sink-unit.jpg


Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.
sdt7618 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Hoddy
Junior Member
 
Hoddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greatham - East Hants
Posts: 952
Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdt7618 View Post
Hoddy,

Not sure how your going to do the reduced height worktop, but have a look at Belfast sink units from "howdens" or the like. might work out ideal and still give a storage cupboard below.

http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/wp-co...-sink-unit.jpg


Layout looks good though. I have just got to clear a corner of our garage before I get started on the brew den, but like everyone else it gets overtaken by "other" priorities.


Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drinking
I cant keep this up to date....

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Hoddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #19
sdt7618
Senior Member
 
sdt7618's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 689
Liked 187 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Now that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks

I might need to do a quick comparison of building the frame myself vs getting something off the shelf like that.

That is the only thing with a BM the fact that you need to be able to gravity drain the unit into your fermenter. And have a sensible height for sparging means you need something about chair height.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you know any local builders, you might be able to get some old kitchen carcases if the are doing kitchen fits. just a case of getting doors if the one on aren't your taste. either that or check out the DIY shops wickes etc who do end of line stuff on sale every now and again.

I have tried to make myself before and it never seems to "fit" properly, doors are always a pain to get right and look like a decent job when not on a purpose made unit carcase.


good luck what ever way you go
sdt7618 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #20
Hoddy
Junior Member
 
Hoddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greatham - East Hants
Posts: 952
Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The Hod’s Brew Shed Build

Day 3 - There it was. Gone.......

IMG_3447.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3449.jpg

Next to dig back all of the soil and remove the vegetation. Then lay the brick course with DPC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drinking
I cant keep this up to date....

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Hoddy is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone brew in the shed?? spook123_uk General Beer Brewing Discussion 25 21-03-2016 11:41 PM
My Home Brew Shed Build PokeHer General Beer Discussion 27 09-05-2015 06:28 AM
What to put in a brew shed? SweetMoFo General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 18 21-07-2012 02:04 PM
The start of my brew shed steve1973 General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 6 02-05-2012 10:02 AM
Shed brewery build... some questions on Carbon Monoxide guyb General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 21 19-08-2011 06:41 PM

Newest Threads