tannin in cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vassili

Reaction score
Morning all ,
I'm not going to make a large amount of cider this year in October, I'm instead going to only use all my juicing, eater apples, however all our cookers got knocked out in the late frost. So I was wondering if in place of the cookers I should add stewed tea to the apple juice to give a bit of bite like you do with wine.
Any thoughts on this idea please.

So I was wondering if in place of the cookers I should add stewed tea to the apple juice to give a bit of bite like you do with wine.
Any thoughts on this idea please.

Yep nothing wrong with that idea. A number of guides recommend you add tannin. In fact the cider starter kit I purchased last year came with powdered tannin for adding to the juice before ferment.

Would your cookers actually have much tannin? They do add the sharpness to dessert fruits.
I thought a few crabs / wildings could be good - the really sharp mouth puckering ones - high in acid and tannin.
If you find a tree you'll probably find it laden - all the ones around here are regularly super-abundant.

Thanks chaps, good point about the crabs, forgot that! I do have a couple of crab trees as pollinators, one at least has fruit.
Thank you for reminding me.
Jamie.

FWIW I made apple cider last year and decided to go as natural possible, skipping pectolase and tannin - and I was really happy with how it turned out.

This year it is looking like we will have a bit more juice so I can experiment on some smaller batches....

Back