Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > 4 WOW variations and 10l Cider (to be dry hopped)

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
deeboi

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brilliant, I'm glad the idea works, I might take a reading from the cider later.

Yeah I was going for pellet hops, I've never used hops before but after watching some youtube videos i was thinking cascade for 5l but wasn't sure what to use for the other 5l, possibly citra, really not sure at all.
I've read the hop profiles but can't make my mind up as I'm not really sure what kind of flavour it's going to introduce to the cider.

Have you made hopped cider before? Just wondering how much to use per gallon.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
GerritT

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeboi View Post
Brilliant, I'm glad the idea works, I might take a reading from the cider later.

Yeah I was going for pellet hops, I've never used hops before but after watching some youtube videos i was thinking cascade for 5l but wasn't sure what to use for the other 5l, possibly citra, really not sure at all.
I've read the hop profiles but can't make my mind up as I'm not really sure what kind of flavour it's going to introduce to the cider.

Have you made hopped cider before? Just wondering how much to use per gallon.
Long long time ago I made a pineapple apple cider. I used about 60 grams of cascade (boiled them for 5 or 10 minutes in some apple juice) for a gallon of juice. Three liters of apple juice, 1 liter of pine apple juice, something like 300 grams of sugar, cider yeast, table spoon of nutrient. Never repeated it, pineapple never showed up in the taste, it tasted quite hard, but the hop was... interesting. Almost fruity.

Just checked the notes: somehow it ended up at 10% ABV. Maybe I added too much sugar. Or too much nutrient. But the hop was impressive. One of my favourites now, with Chinook and Target.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
deeboi

I also made a similar pinapple cider about 2 years ago but without the hops, didn't take notes (I've started now though) but I'm sure i added around 300g sugar too, there was also no real pinapple flavour and if i remember correctly it left alot of sediment in the primary too.
When i do this again i will not add any extra sugar and i read somewhere that adding the pineapple juice after initial fermentation helps retain some of the pineapple flavour. Worth a try.

I'm going to get Cascade and a few other varieties to try out on this and the next couple of batches of cider.

EDIT: ordered some hop pellets to play around with, 100g Cascade, 50g Target, 50g Admiral, 50g Bramling Cross, 50g East Kent Goldings all for £9.60 delivered.
GerritT Likes This 
Old 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Out of interest, why hops, what do you think it will give it, a beery flavoured cider?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
GerritT

Quote:

EDIT: ordered some hop pellets to play around with, 100g Cascade, 50g Target, 50g Admiral, 50g Bramling Cross, 50g East Kent Goldings all for �£9.60 delivered.
Those prices are exceptional! Care to share your supplier?

Old 13-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
deeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltabrew View Post
Out of interest, why hops, what do you think it will give it, a beery flavoured cider?
For me, I want to try dry hopped cider because of the reactions it gets on the youtube review videos, people are amazed at how good it tastes.

I've never used hops in my life so can only go on what people say when reviewing it, I don't think it will bring a beery taste but the flavour in the hops seem to come out i.e. when people try cider dry hopped with Cascade hops they say they taste the cider then the citrusy grapefruity taste hits you.
I can't find hopped cider to buy where I live so need make it myself, I've been curious about the taste for a couple of years now so decided to make some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritT View Post
Those prices are exceptional! Care to share your supplier?
Yeah I thought so too, I got them from probably the last place you would expect to look for hops, Keg Kingdom

Old 13-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
GerritT

Quote:
Yeah I thought so too, I got them from probably the last place you would expect to look for hops, Keg Kingdom
Excellent, thank you! Next time the crisper is empty-ish I'll shop hops there! Too bad the yeasts aren't as cheap as well, £1 for a notty would be fabulous.
Old 13-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
deeboi

The Malt Miller seem to be having a bit of a sale on hops too just now.

Old 13-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
For me, I want to try dry hopped cider because of the reactions it gets on the youtube review videos, people are amazed at how good it tastes.

I've never used hops in my life so can only go on what people say when reviewing it, I don't think it will bring a beery taste but the flavour in the hops seem to come out i.e. when people try cider dry hopped with Cascade hops they say they taste the cider then the citrusy grapefruity taste hits you.
I can't find hopped cider to buy where I live so need make it myself, I've been curious about the taste for a couple of years now so decided to make some.

Thanks for the reply, I've never heard of it before and it sounds tasty, i'm looking forward to reading the results!
GerritT Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
deeboi

Sorry about the lack updates, just recovered from a bug I've had for about 3/4 weeks now, anyway here's some photo's.

Start with the Cider, I received my Hops very promptly and after some reading decided to go with 15g Cascade in one and 15g Bramling Cross in the other one.

I syphoned the cider into 2x 5L water bottles (with grommet in lids for airlock) as all my demijohns are full.
I put this away in a dark cupboard which was 19/20 degrees for 7 days.
Here it is after 7 days dry hopping.

I had to improvise and cut up and boil/sterilize one of my daughters old tops to add to the end of the auto syphon to stop it picking up all the hops and it worked great.

Here's what's left after syphoning into my bottling bucket before bottling with the little bottler.
I decided to use clear 330ml Corona bottles so I would get more bottles for testing, each bottle primed with sugar, I have those measuring cups for bottle priming (330ml, 500ml and 750ml)

I got 16 bottles with Cascade hops, 4 of which I also added a spoon full of Candarel sweetener to.
I got 14 bottles with Bramling Cross hops, again added Candarel to 4 of them.
There all currently in the cupboard upstair sitting at 19/20 degrees, I'll leave them there for 14 days.

The smell from the leftover hops was pretty decent, the Cascade was just an intense smell of Grapefruit and Orange for me anyway and the Bramling Cross had a very strong aroma of Blackcurrant.

I tasted a little bit of each but because it was warm and un-carbonated it was hard to gauge what the final result will be but It's seems to be looking good.

On to the WOW variations, I only have 2 that have been racked and cleared.
On the left (Water Bottle) is Red Grape Juice, Apple and Summer Fruits and on the right (Demijohn) is Reg Grape Juice and Summer Fruits.

This is just after adding Fining A

This is just after adding Fining B, and I must admit I got a little bit worried when I seen all this sediment just build up and sink to the bottom of the demijohn right in front of my eyes, it was about 2 inch thick at the bottom at one point but it settled out in the end but still left a decent anount of sediment in the bottom of the FV's.

So after 24hrs it looks like this.

Today, 4 days later it's like this and I will bottle it later I think.

I also still have a RGJ, Strawberry and Kiwi and a RGJ and Apple still in primary with a bubble every minute or so that I need to sort out later too.
I'll add more photo's later.