Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Totally Tropical Pale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 27-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #31
chub1

Liked 688 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispn View Post
I've got some NZ hops in the freezer and was wondering if these would be a suitable substitue for the Amarillo? I defo have Motueka and Wakatu I think off the top of my head. I'm gonna make the Totally tropical Pale Ale next week after this run of night shift ends. Not sure if folk have paired Motueka and Citra but I'd be interested to hear if you think its a good combo and in what sort of ratios. The TTA recipe calls for a heap of Amarillo as a dry hop. I'd rather use up one or both of my NZ hops first before buying another 100g bag if I can - I tend to do small batches so while I'm likely to use most of a 100g bag of Citra in this one (then maybe do a SMaSH with the rest) I'd really like to make use of these others NZ hops first. Starting to accumulate hops in the freezer!

Thanks for any info!
One way to find out, try one of them,possibly the motueka.Have used Motueka a few times and really like it.

Old 27-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #32
krispn

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah that was always gonna happen Just wondered if people had tried them. The lime zest vibe might work well and the other hop is Rakau so I'd say it will work fine to complement those Citra flavours.

Should be making this either Thursday or Friday so I'll chime in again when its underway!

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Helles Lager
Winter Stout

Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #33
krispn

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made this last week - tasting bitter on the sample I tried last night but a nice fruity finish. Hoping that once it's fermented out and settled it might lose some bitterness (I had hop matter floating in the sample) but we shall see. It's gone done from 1.064 to 1.009 and still activity in the airlock so should finish at a good abv. but hopefully not too 'alcoholic' in taste. It might lose some finesse in the tasting!

I'll report back with final numbers - if anyone is using the Grainfather brewing community/app the recipe is listed as Totally Tallawah Pale Ale - I've made some changes to the recipe as posted earlier in this thread by @pvt_ak. Golden Promise was my main base malt and the NZ hops were used along with Citra. I used Yeast Bay Vermont yeast...full details on the GF recipe/app/community page.

I may tweak this one further amd make it again with only flameout and whirlpool hop additions but let's see how I get on!

I really enjoy this hobby!

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Helles Lager
Winter Stout